14 replies to this topic

#1 smcr

smcr

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 01:14 PM

Two big trees I couldn't move down on Flint Quarry. Coming up the hill from the lower parking lot counter-clockwise a little before the overlook bench and going the same way just before the 1 mile marker sign.

Two and a half trees down on Chubb-
1/2) Heading toward the field from the picnic bench, after the steps at the first turn there is a hanging tree that broke and got stuck in itself-out of the way currently.
1) A big tree down just before the last turn that gets you to the field (bottom of the run from the steps). This is a large oak.
2) A medium tree of small consequence a little down the trail from the zig zag (between the Chubb shelter and well before the cut-off) below what I used to call the needle before it widened out. There's a sign nearby that says switchback to keep people from going straight onto a private property trail.

#2 PatrickP

PatrickP

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 10:44 AM

Some of those trees have been there for almost 2 months now. Who do we need to contact to get this taken care of?
Posted Image

#3 smcr

smcr

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 12:51 PM

The trail steward info says you can pm Fred, call or post here.

#4 PatrickP

PatrickP

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 05:29 AM

quote:
Originally posted by smcr
The trail steward info says you can pm Fred, call or post here.
My point exactly, I've posted about 2 of the trees on Flint Quarry almost 2 months ago and one of them was still in the middle of the trail last night... plus all the ones you posted.
Posted Image

#5 rebelssof

rebelssof

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 09:25 PM

If ya page Glen aka rockbreaker and send him a PM he might be able to get the trees when he has a chance as I am not sure if the parks dept does any tree clearing out there.
Charles

#6 rebelssof

rebelssof

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 09:28 PM

I don't think Fred is a certified sawyer, and if so he can't remove the trees. I contacted Glen through Facebook though.
Charles

#7 rockbreaker

rockbreaker

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 953 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 06:21 AM

Patrick sorry I missed the post a couple of months ago. The hard part for me is to get a swamper that wants to take the time to help. I'm surprised it took this long for it to be re posted about the downed trees. I will have to see what the weather is like next week and all my chains need to be sharpened first.
Glenn
GORC Trail Steward Creve Coeur Park
"St. Louis County's First Park"

#8 PatrickP

PatrickP

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 12:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by rockbreaker
Patrick sorry I missed the post a couple of months ago. The hard part for me is to get a swamper that wants to take the time to help. I'm surprised it took this long for it to be re posted about the downed trees. I will have to see what the weather is like next week and all my chains need to be sharpened first.
Thanks Glenn, I just want to make sure it gets taken care of, those trees are real flow killers on our downhill fun. [:D] Let me know if you want me to help as a swamper, I probably could go one evening next week.
Posted Image

#9 smcr

smcr

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 07:59 PM

I can swamp during the day 'cept thursday this coming week barring excessive heat (kid)- we'll duct tape the kid to a tree to keep him out of the way.

#10 rebelssof

rebelssof

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 05:08 PM

I will post picks later, but I cut up two small trees today with a bow saw and one large tree remains about 100 yards before the look out bench on flint, when coming from the lower lot. It will require some love from a chainsaw and the sooner the better as their is already a ride around.
Charles

#11 rebelssof

rebelssof

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 06:27 AM

This tree was just below the second switchback where they posted the small switchback sign in the tree.

Posted Image

Posted Image

This is a tree that had been laying on the original trailfor two years or so on Flint at the spot the tree thinning was performed. Now the original trail is reopened.

Posted Image

Posted Image

When coming from the lower lot on flint this tree is 200 yards of so before the lookout bench, and as of 07-02-2011 this tree will need some chainsaw love to help remove it from the trail.

Posted Image
Charles

#12 PatrickP

PatrickP

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 07:26 AM

Thanks Charles, you da man! Big thanks also to who ever came with a chainsaw and removed the big tree that was recently blocking the last turn on the backside (number 1 on smcr's list above).
Posted Image

#13 PatrickP

PatrickP

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 05:36 AM

quote:
Originally posted by rebelssof
When coming from the lower lot on flint this tree is 200 yards of so before the lookout bench, and as of 07-02-2011 this tree will need some chainsaw love to help remove it from the trail.Posted Image
As of last night, this tree is still there.I'm just about to turn it into a sweet ass jump. [;)]
Posted Image

#14 Deserteagle99uzi

Deserteagle99uzi

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 02:52 PM

I can swamp whenever you want. I'm a student and have a part time job so schedule is erratic but with some notice I can arrange a time. I'm strong as hell and I won't get tired/hurt. I've also got gloves/boot/tools for removal however I am without a saw so you would need to supply that. For purely swamping duties please feel free to call or email me. 3143291686 - chris. Id love to clear trail as I work saturdays so I can never make workdays. I hope this helps keep chubb and stl trails clearer. If you have the time and want id LOVE to tackle the enormous tree that's down over the trail along the river, been there forever but it'd be fun to yank around for a few hours.

#15 b-herb

b-herb

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 12:18 PM

This tree was still there on Sunday. It now has branches layed down and stacked on either side like a ramp to make it somewhat rideable. Pretty sketchy though haha

Save a trail, ride a bike!

\m/ >_< \m/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users