19 replies to this topic

#1 Steve L

Steve L

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 08:02 AM

Found out yesterday that the best metal to keep me biking will be titanium in the knee not on the bike. I have not made a final decision as to when but my pain tolerance will probably have some determination. If anyone has had to have a knee replacement I am looking for information on rehab times and their experience. It looks like at least 3 months before I will be doing any biking and maybe 6 months to be back on the trails. In the mean time look for me at the back of the group.

#2 ohearl

ohearl

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:49 AM

My wife has had both knees done. The second had a much faster recovery time because the first provided a better platform. If your "good" knee is fine, you should be OK in two (2) weeks; that is, no walker or cane. Caryn doesn't bike ;-( but I know people who skiied after a month. It all depends on how hard you push yourself; rehab is critical during the scar tissue building phase. The rehab breaks up the scar tissue in order to maintain your flexibility. Good luck.
Earl Poe
Only 5% of the earth is paved.
Uphills are worth it because it means you get to go down, hill that is!!

#3 Big Jim Mac

Big Jim Mac

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 04:26 AM

My wife just had one done. She went to Dr. Lux. The procedure he does is great. Lots of pain for two days, then it started getting better. He had hers Dec. 24 and is about 95% healed now. One of his patients has run a couple of marathons. My wife signed up for the half marathon in STL in Oct. These new knees allow sideways movement instead of being like a hinge the way the used to be. And if you wear anything out, it will be a plastic insert between the metal parts that can be replaced out patient. I bought my wife a bike trainer and she already used an elliptical. She alternated between these two machines and they really helped. At first you will only be able to go part way around not eh bike trainer but that will improve quickly. If you do your therapy, no reason you can't get back on the bike soon. I'm sure she will talk to you if you want to know more--pm me. Good luck!
What, me hurry?

#4 Steve L

Steve L

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 10:20 PM

Surgery at 9 on thursday home friday at 9:30 and thinking that wasn't so bad. Saturday PT started for real, all the numbing medicine wore off and all the swelling that the tube was draining set in. Seeing your leg glued together, swollen to a crazy size, black and blue from toes to hip and being told to bend it to 100 degrees and you invision blood flying to the ceiling as it splits. So far so good. Things have sure progressed in the last 20 years since the last reconstuctive surgery. See you soon. Well maybe a couple of more weeks off.

#5 iKona40

iKona40

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 04:56 AM

Thanks for the update Steve. I had been wondering if you'd had your surgery yet. Good luck with your recovery, and let us know how things progress!

Dan R

#6 bulldog

bulldog

Geezer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,615 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 05:31 AM

Glad your on the road to recovery Steve. See you on the trails soon!
Downhills are fun! Uphills keep you young!

#7 KevinG

KevinG

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 03:08 PM

Hope things are progressing well, see you on the trails soon.
GORC Trail Steward- Cliff Cave Park
You don't quit playing because you get old .... You get old because you quit playing

#8 reidsk

reidsk

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 04:43 PM

Steve, glad to hear that the surgery went well. I hope that you have a speedy recovery and are back out on the trails soon!

#9 love the sun

love the sun

Forum Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 05:27 PM

Speedy recovery, Steve!!!!
"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt." ~Margaret Atwood

#10 Stlblues13

Stlblues13

Forum Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:26 PM

I'll echo what the other said about your recovery Steve and hope to see you back out on the trails soon.

#11 msmodo

msmodo

Advanced Contributor

• 390 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 02:44 PM

Hey Bionic, you've gotta post the picture!

#12 Steve L

Steve L

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 08:18 PM

Looks pretty good for 11 days. The more colorful photos were on days 2 - 4. Does not hurt, probably the drugs. Physical therapy going well. I'm convinced the therapist wants to see me cry. Think I'm still going to need a couple of more weeks before I'm back on the bike.

Posted Image

#13 Stlblues13

Stlblues13

Forum Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:07 AM

There is a reason they are called Physical Terrorists.

#14 msmodo

msmodo

Advanced Contributor

• 390 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:56 PM

Steve, I am so sorry I asked you to post that. I just need a bit of time to recover each time I look at that photo..... I still think it looks like a bike chain is buried beneath there. Keep taking those painkillers before you meet with her. You'll be okay. Hope to ride with you soon! :)

#15 Steve L

Steve L

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 06:10 PM

The rehab rides are on after 7 weeks. Made it all of 3.3 miles on Spring Valley at an average 6.6 mile per hour. At least I saw on Strava that I wasn't the slowest on the Inner Loop segment. See you all on the trails.

#16 ohearl

ohearl

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 07:41 AM

Welcome back.
Earl Poe
Only 5% of the earth is paved.
Uphills are worth it because it means you get to go down, hill that is!!

#17 iKona40

iKona40

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:29 AM

That's great Steve!

Dan R

#18 stangbang

stangbang

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:20 PM

Unfortunately, I too will be getting both my knees replace very soon. I have severe Rhumatoid Arthritis and the knees are just too far gone. They have been bone on bone for the past 5 or 6 years and it's getting very painful to even just lay in bed. I had both my hips replaced when I was 27. Now I'm 35. Steve, what DR. did your knees? I am looking for a few opinions before I do my knees as I live a very active lifestyle, so I want the best. Knee articulation is very important to me. I race jetski's, ride mountain bikes and would love to race mx again. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
2010 Cannondale F4
2011 Trek Fuel EX 8

#19 falasi4

falasi4

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:38 AM

Check out dr David king, king orthopedics. he is a cyclist btw

#20 Steve L

Steve L

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:19 PM

Paul Lux 336-2555. Orthopedic Center of St.Louis. I know 2 individuals that have had doubles and both are very active again both within 3 months were back to mostly normal activities. I'm at 4 months and I would say I'm at 80% but I had some slow healing issues from my previous 3 surgery scar tissue effecting blood flow. He will tell you that he is 5% of the outcome and the rest is you. I only wish that my other knee was a little more gone so I could have had both done at once. I will probably be seeing him again within 5 years. I would definitely talk to him. He told me at my 3 month to go do what ever I wanted that there was no way to hurt the implant before I would break something else. Good luck and don't forget to take the pain pill before physical therapy and remember it is not nice to hit the therapist.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users