• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 drrob

drrob

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 07:54 PM

Hey its " Memphis Rob" as some of you know me. Going to be in St. Louis June 21 -24 and would love to hit the Chubb Trail again. A great group of riders took me out on the trail last time and I had a great time last year. Let me know if anyone is interested in putting a ride together again.

#2 gss

gss

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 09:00 PM

Have you ridden other trails in the area and just want to do that one again or is that the only one you have ridden? The Chubb is a great trail but if you have not tried some of the others you should. Maps and locations can be found here: http://www.gorctrail...rails/index.asp

#3 drrob

drrob

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 09:11 PM

I also rode Castlewood. Would like to ride Greensfelder when I am there but I am open to any trail close to Chesterfield. I'll have Thursday afternoon , Friday and Saturday evening and can bring lights.

#4 gss

gss

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 06:53 AM

Unfortunately none of the St. Louis trails allow night rides except on scheduled events, and none of those happen to be when you will be here. However, Lost Valley, in St. Charles County, does allow riding until 10 PM every night if you want a night ride. Greensfelder is definitely worth riding but a guide would be advised because there are a ton of trails that criss-cross. If you did head for St. Charles County, which is not far from Chesterfield, Matson and Klondike would also be worth going to. Since you liked Chubb I will assume you like rocky and technical trails and Klondike has lots of that.

#5 drrob

drrob

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 10:20 AM

It looks like the katy trail connects all three of these. You could park at one trail and ride to the others. I would like to ride some different trails this trip . These sound good as well as Greensfelder.

#6 falasi4

falasi4

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 11:09 AM

It is not close to Chesterfield - probably 40+ min without major traffic - but SIUE is open all night. I don't know about anyone else but the one time I tried summer night riding, bugs swarmed my light (attached to helmet - close to face) so bad I had to give it up after about 10 min...

#7 gss

gss

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 11:37 AM

quote:
Originally posted by drrob
It looks like the katy trail connects all three of these. You could park at one trail and ride to the others. I would like to ride some different trails this trip . These sound good as well as Greensfelder.
That is known as the St. Charles trifecta. Most people start at the mound, drop into Lost Valley and right the first half, get on Katy to go do the rest and ride the last half of Lost Valley on the way out. Here is a Garmin trace of the ride. The only unusual thing about it is that most people take the Matson Hill gravel road up and back from the trail instead of going up one way and returning another. http://connect.garmi...ivity/122089478

#8 drrob

drrob

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 09:04 PM

So that 43 mile distance is riding from lost valley to klondike and back to lost valley. Is that riding each trail twice?

#9 gss

gss

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 09:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by drrob
So that 43 mile distance is riding from lost valley to klondike and back to lost valley. Is that riding each trail twice?
If you click my link and then click the player button in the upper right you can see how he rode. It looks like he did ride the Klondike stuff thru and back instead of as a loop, but everything else was just once. So it was park at the mound, go the short way thru to the Katy, take a paved route up to Matson Hill (usually you would get to and from Matson the way he left Matson), ride Matson (one loop), take gravel road back to Katy, ride to Klondike, ride Klondike as an out and back (this would usually be done just as a loop) then take the Katy back to Lost Valley and finish the long side of the loop and return to the car. The last time I did the trifecta I only did each trail once (no backtracking except Katy) and I thought it was 48 miles. Not sure what the discrepancy is, could be my memory.

#10 drrob

drrob

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 09:32 PM

I.m not familiar with that garmin stuff. The player button is cool. This looks like a good ride for me to do Friday afternoon because I have more time. Would like to also ride Greensfelder one evening. Can you cover that whole course in an hour.

#11 gss

gss

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 07:41 AM

All of it, no. But you can pick a few trails to ride.

#12 msmodo

msmodo

Advanced Contributor

• 390 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:22 PM

Hey Memphis Rob. I'm sure there are few of the guys from SLAMB (St. Louis Area Mountain Bikers) who would want to do the bifecta/trifecta that weekend, even that Friday, if you want some company. You can sign up with slamb on the meetup site or I can post something for you and let everyone know that we have an out-of-towner that wants to do that. Wish I could go, but I'll be oot. Matson is awesome, not as tech as GF but superfun none the less. Give yourself roughly an hour each for LV and Matson individually. Add more time for the Katy ride between. It all depends on level though. Some guys can finish them in 20-30 minutes flat I'm sure at race pace.

#13 msmodo

msmodo

Advanced Contributor

• 390 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 11:09 AM

drrob, about 5 SLAMBers are doing a night ride at Chubb on Wednesday night, the 20th, if you're up for it, starting at the Lone Elk side. forget, can't delete - that is tonight.

#14 drrob

drrob

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 01:13 PM

Thanks for all the great info. Will not get to Chesterfield until midnight tonight. Plan on riding Thursday afternoon doing the trifecta. Friday and Saturday after 5:30 a castlewood and or chubb. Let me know if there are any other rides going on or if anyone wants to join me that knows the trails.

#15 gss

gss

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 06:55 AM

You may want to do Castlewood on Friday because it can be very crowded on weekends, and if we get rain today it dries faster than Chubb.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users