Photo

Tuesday Night Rides- Lost Valley

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 pilznr

pilznr

• 448 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 03:29 PM

It's time to re-post this sticky. (One of JohnnyD's old posts)

Every Tuesday, 52 times per year, the happy GORCsters hit the trail down in Lost Valley for the weekly ride. This ride has been going on non-stop for over 10 years (originally Thursday's). Here's the skinny:

Ride Whaddeva U Want!

What: GORC Tuesday Night Lost Valley Ride. Multiple "Sub-Groups" by pace. It's not a no-drop ride, but you'll probably find someone to ride with.

Where: Lost Valley Trail. Meet at the "Mound" parking lot about 2 miles south of Hwy 40 on hwy 94. We ride the Hamburg Trail for a mile or so to the LV trail loop.

Lights highly recommended from October through April.

Only time we won't ride is pouring rain. Pretty much everything else goes. We have alternate routes that are very water/snow/whatever proof, and fun.

When: Ready to roll out of the parking lot around 6pm, ride will last between 1.5 and 2+ hours depending on your pace.

If the weather is nice enough, sometimes we'll have a post-ride beverage of choice and talk trash.

Check this board for updates if you're unsure about the weather.

Greensfelder Cat Herder

#2 smcclain65

smcclain65

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 02:10 PM

First off, sorry for the newbie post. But I am definetly a MTB newb, having a mountain bike for years but only riding the katy trail until I found this site. So starting last week I have been hiting the trails on this website and have tackled Lost Valley twice and am in awe. I love this trail and want to join the group ride but I dont want to bother anybody with my inexperience, ie, falling over and walking my bike up a couple hills, so I dont want to impede someone elses ride and hold the group up. So my question is; what skill level do I need to be to join the group? My best time at Lost Valley is 1:34. I have never rode with anybody else on MTB, but have participated in many group road rides.

#3 LRK

LRK

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 07:11 AM

No particular skill level is required to join the group ride. As the original post indicates there are usually a number of people riding with a variety of skill and fitness levels. In full disclosure though, it's not a "no drop" ride so if you don't keep up with one of the groups the worst thing that can happen is you ride by yourself.

#4 rmo55c

rmo55c

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 07:26 AM

smc - as previously said, there are typically a few different groupings of riders based on speed. While not a "no drop" ride, if you know LV (and you do) and are comfortable going off on your own, then I would say definitely come. That being said, you'll probably have people to ride with. Worst case is you get to meet some GORC guys and gals before the ride and after the ride, and you get to cover some awesome trail.

Ryan
Former Castlewood Trail Steward

#5 benbennett

benbennett

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 01:33 PM

Another newbie question. What is the distance that most in the group ride? Seen the 21 miles on the calendar , two laps ? Do people park in the MoDot parking lot or an actual parking lot for the trail for the "Mound " parking lot? Is the right lat/long https://maps.google....5724,-90.724541 ? This is my first year really doing single track and never rode in group. Guess I will learn.

#6 rmo55c

rmo55c

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 01:51 PM

Ben.. welcome to the GORC board! The Tuesday ride starts from the Mound Parking Lot. From there we head down the Hamburg Trail and drop into Lost Valley. The "full ride" is usually around 24 miles give or take. However, many individuals choose to break off into smaller groups that will ride shorter loops. This is not a "no drop ride" but there are different groups of varying speed. Based on your speed and ability to ride, you will probably find someone to hang with. Of course if you know Lost Valley Trail well, then you can always hang with the group for as long as you are comfortable and then break off. Best thing to do is to come out, try it, and see if you like riding with us!

Ryan
Former Castlewood Trail Steward

#7 msmodo

msmodo

Advanced Contributor

• 380 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:48 PM

Hey Ben, If you are new to singletrack and are interested in riding with others, check out St. Louis Area Mountain Bikers (SLAMB). It's a group of recreational and avid mountain bikers, beginner through advanced, who meet up and ride all of the trails around here and beyond. They'll post rides during the week, daytime and evenings, and of course on the weekends. We post daytrips, campouts, night rides, GORC workdays, races, bike demos, shop events, etc. We use meetup.com as our forum to communicate all of this. It is a closed group on the meetup site but it is open to anyone who is interested in mtbing. Hope you join. It's a great way to meet other riders, find others of your own pace, explore trails, etc. If you have any questions, post here, join SLAMB, or just pm me. Karen Einig

#8 benbennett

benbennett

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:24 PM

Joined. Went last week, going this week. Hopefully find someone at my level(lower lol) . Goal for 2013 is to do some century mountain bike ride.

#9 CalebMiller

CalebMiller

Forum Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 10:43 AM

will there be a ride tonight? Wasn't sure what the conditions were like. Thanks!

#10 LRK

LRK

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 01:18 PM

Conditions should be fine for tonight. Larry

#11 lirch

lirch

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:20 PM

12/4/12 anyone?

#12 newportl

newportl

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:51 PM

Yep.
Luke

#13 lirch

lirch

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:20 AM

after the rain?? didn't seem like a whole lot of precipitation. weather station at Indian Ridge Farm in Defiance only recorded 0.59". i'm hoping for hero dirt.

#14 LRK

LRK

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:59 AM

I think conditions will be fine tonight...not much rain, been super dry, etc. New trail we worked on Saturday may be a little soft though.

#15 Mikeb

Mikeb

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 06:17 PM

PSA:
Larry Koester asked me to spread the word. The annual GORC Solstice
ride is tomorrow at 5:30pm. Lost Valley - Matson - Lost Valley. Bring a
few bucks and on the return trip back to Lost Valley stop by Defiance
Roadhouse for a brew.

--Mike Barro

#16 Dug

Dug

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:54 AM

I was in the lot last night a little before 6:00 and the GORC regulars had left.  

There were a few younger guys there looking for the ride.

If you are new to the ride and looking to jump in, it might help if you post something here so the group knows you are coming and can look out for you.  

#17 44mxgp

44mxgp

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 07:19 PM

I'm guessing that this isn't a thing any more. Oh well, it was still fun. 

#18 newportl

newportl

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 01:57 PM

It's still a thing - it'll get going again this year. Most Tuesday nights there are folks showing up around 6.  Maybe some people were scared away by the rain?

Luke

#19 44mxgp

44mxgp

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 02:03 PM

Thanks, I'll keep trying. I've been riding by myself a lot, that's fine unless I fall off.

#20 95vtr250

95vtr250

Advanced Contributor

• 963 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 02:46 PM

Yes, this ride is still a thing.  The regulars have had things going on this spring, but it should resume itself very soon.  it would be great to see the large numbers we used to see on this ride.  Multiple speed groups are always a good thing as well.

• TTM likes this

Bryan Adams, GORC Board Member
Why should I change my name, he's the one that sucks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users