• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dvaid2526

dvaid2526

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 04:54 PM

Does anybody know what is going on at cuivre river? I rode out there yesterday and found some new mountain bike trail markers heading straight where you would normally turn left (coming from the trailhead) to climb up to the bluff. I followed them up a fire road climb and ended up on the Hamilton Hollow trail where their were two signs indicating it was a bike trail and one with the no bike symbol. Are they opening more trails to bikes and are any of the other trails being opened up as well?

#2 J-tracker

J-tracker

Forum Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 06:29 PM

If you check in @ the visitors center there, they will outline the bike approved trails. They have ~5.75mls of singletrack/fireroad/gravel, some of it for bikes, some shared w/equestrians. But they aren't well marked. They do plan on adding trail in the near future...stay tuned. Stop in & voice your eagerness to ride more bike trails there, public opinion does count. And then, consider helping build if they ask for our assistance. It's what we do!

#3 J-tracker

J-tracker

Forum Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 06:36 PM

There's a nice review w/GPS track by stlmtbiker on 8-16-2011 posted under "all other area trails".

#4 dvaid2526

dvaid2526

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 07:29 PM

I've been trying to catch someone at the visitors center but its usually to late and closed by the time I get up there. I'm familiar with the trail you are talking about that runs up and along the bluff. I don't think these other trail markers where up last a few weeks ago when I was out there. here is a link to my gps track http://connect.garmi...ivity/192863369 I checked out the gps track you mentioned and I'm pretty sure it has some sections of trail on it that are not open to bikes I don't think the smaller loop I rode first was open to bikes a month ago. There is still signage saying no bikes next to the new bike signage I would post a pic of it but I'm not smart enough to figure out how. I'll try to get by there earlier some day and talk to the folks up there. Would be nice to see some more trails opened up to us though but I think I was told a lot of the park is wilderness area.

#5 stlmtbiker

stlmtbiker

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:42 AM

There's Big Sugar Creek (1675 acres) and Northwoods Wild Area (1082 acres) inside the park and by regulation they don't allow wheeled traffic. That's a bummer though because Cuiver has a lot of potential. Those two areas make up 2757 acres of Cuiver River and that's a 6393 acre park. There's still a lot of acres in the park, but I'm not sure where the natural areas are in relation to the whole park. Hopefully we'd be able to get more trails opened up in the park though since there's over 3,000 acres that are bike-able.

Kinda funny though how bikes aren't allowed in the wild areas and the trails looked like this on a hike there a few winters back. 15- 20 foot wide postholed nightmare for over half a mile. Many parts were trashed, but this was one of the worst-
Posted Image

However there were some pretty parts that the horses hadn't destroyed on the hiker only trails-
Posted Image

Here's a link with all the state park wild areas- http://mostateparks....ated-wild-areas

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users