14 replies to this topic

#1 shredzilla

shredzilla

Forum Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 05:53 PM

Hello all, My Name is Jon and I have been riding for a number of years in the st. louis, st charles areas. I have recently Made a trip to CO and did some downhill riding at keystone and winter park, IT WAS EPIC! SO MUCH FUN! I Understand that here in St. Louis there is no need for lifts to the top of the hill for we dont have mountains but that doesnt mean we cant have some badass downhill fun? Some table tops, Big berms, Drop offs, Ect...
I really want to see something like this go into effect and am willing to work very hard to do so. I Was not sure where to start but figured what a better place than this fourm. I was reading about a bike park possibly being put up in St. Charles which is great! But I dont want this to be confused with a bike park, what I am looking for is some people that would like to see some DOWNHILL track with back and blue diamond like attributes. Input? A good Place to start? Anyone else interested?[8D]
Posted Image

#2 BrianFalls21

BrianFalls21

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 07:01 PM

Is that a 29er catching air? I only ask because I rode my Rockhopper down a few blues at Keystone and got some weird looks. The folks with DH rigs couldn't laugh at me though because unlike them, I pedaled my whip to the top of the mountain! Anyway, I'd love to have some DH runs in the area as well - I've always wondered why Hidden Valley couldn't make some extra money in the summer by opening a bike park. I've always been told the golf course patrons wouldn't appreciate the audience a bike park would bring in. I don't know where to tell you to start, but I think there is enough interest in the area to support a bike park type area. I'd be willing to drop the dough for a membership/lift ticket at said location.

N.F.S. Certified Sawyer & Greensfelder Sawyer

SS Rockhopper "Black Pearl"

Specialized "Blackbeard" Crave

GT "White Lightning" Zaskar (2013-2014)

#3 shredzilla

shredzilla

Forum Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 07:04 AM

Yeah thats my 29er, that pic was takin at a bike park in frisco co. I rode my 29er at keystone and winter park. I did get some funny looks but not as bad as my buddy, he took his hardtail down the mountain. lol. The idea of downhill around here is not for profit, I dont want to make money off the deal, just have a place for us to ride. Maybe add some trail to a park, castlewood or chub? Idk...Hopefully someone else chimes in here and helps point me in the right direction but if not ill start making some phone calls and try to figure some things out.

#4 BrianFalls21

BrianFalls21

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 05:05 PM

Have you ridden Klondike? There are at least some drops and man-mades there. The Hogsback side allows for some significant elevation loss and speed. Also, the Oxen Mill trail at Matson has some new tough challenges. The Hays trail has some insane dips that when hit right can feel pretty gnarly. As far as "down-hill," I guess I don't imagine anything in Missouri being much more downhill than the back side of Chubb from the picnic bench to the tracks. If people would ride responsibly that piece of trail could have some real potential, but the tread is destroyed and the go-arounds make it almost impossible to hit the original lines, which are bermed up pretty nice in places. This is the only place in STL that I have actually seen down hill bikes. I have to apologize, I'm going to write a little bit of a book here, but only because I've thought of what you are thinking of before. IMO, the problem with "down-hill" in the area is that true down-hill areas take way more time, maintenance, and money than any group of volunteers is really able to offer, baring, oh maybe North Shore riders. Those guys also are insane and ride bikes for a living. And then the issue I imagine you'll run into trying to make progress at an established area is liability. If I were in charge of City or State parks, I REALLY would not want people hitting gaps and large drops (2+feet) on public lands without waivers. Also, and we see this at Chubb, old sections of Greensfelder, and also Grotpeiter, there is the problem of erosion. In order to have the steepness needed for fun DH riding, erosion control becomes a huge issue. This is where berms, water bars, and other trail building methods are employed, but even after the initial push to get things built, there is still the issue of continual maintenance. Finally, you are riding in an area where, lets face it, a lot of the active scene is into cross country riding and low travel, lightweight bikes. I'm included. My suggestion would be to start by organizing some effort to work on the Chubb from the bench to the tracks. There are several people on this site that may be able to help - I would try Bryan Adams or Matt Hays. Matt is Seamonkey on here. You get nice prominence (both in elevation and popularity) at that venue with an already established trail. There may well already be efforts in the works on getting that trail segment up to par - new sustainable trail has already been built out there in the last three years. Otherwise I'd try to find someone with a little chunk of hilly land and go at it grassroots style. Hope this helps - I here you, I'd love to get that DH thrill locally, but unfortunately, I think I'll have to reserve it for my Colorado trip every other summer and my dreamed BC once-in-a-lifetime trip.

#5 ResidentAlien

ResidentAlien

Forum Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 10:21 AM

The steepest (and also most eroded) trails I know of in this area are in Rockwoods Range, on the Fox Run trail. These are rocky, have gullies in places, and rough muddy surfaces after rain, but the the trail does have several steep 200 ft hills, so could be fun for you. http://www.gorctrail...kwoodsrange.asp
Uphill - as fast as you can. Downhill - as fast as you dare.

#6 shredzilla

shredzilla

Forum Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 09:46 AM

Hey Brain, You have alot of points there.... Kinda a bummer to hear, but I know they are true. Is it a bad thing or something the parks would not want if I were to build a couple features along the trail? From the bench to tracks would be an awesome little spot for downhill fun. I would love to add some small little things to it to make it a little more exciting. OR maybe I need to talk to someone first? Something I would be interested in doing this fall with a group of people. I have some freinds that would def help. Resident, Thank you! I will go ride that trail as soon as it cools off!

#7 ResidentAlien

ResidentAlien

Forum Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 12:14 PM

Here are some Garmin data from the area. The first five miles are in Rockwoods Range, then I ran the Dogwood trail, the Declue trail, the Beulah trail and on up the Green Rock trail. Unfortunately, some of the steepest and tallest hills are to the North in Rockwoods Reservation (the last four miles) and you can't do those on bikes. The Beulah trail in Greensfelder has a great descent though, it is a simple loop in and out of a deep valley, and I think it is open for cyclists. http://connect.garmi...layer/173077365
Uphill - as fast as you can. Downhill - as fast as you dare.

#8 BrianFalls21

BrianFalls21

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 05:35 PM

Hmm, I forgot about Rockwoods, definitely some intense terrain! I'd check with someone from GORC or the parks department about making trail additions...a little elf did tell me that every now and then folks drop about 4 feet off of the west side of the steps though...

#9 Craig

Craig

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,603 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 06:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by shredzilla
Hey Brain, You have alot of points there.... Kinda a bummer to hear, but I know they are true. Is it a bad thing or something the parks would not want if I were to build a couple features along the trail? From the bench to tracks would be an awesome little spot for downhill fun. I would love to add some small little things to it to make it a little more exciting. OR maybe I need to talk to someone first? Something I would be interested in doing this fall with a group of people. I have some freinds that would def help. Resident, Thank you! I will go ride that trail as soon as it cools off!
Jon, sorry for the long delay in getting back to you on this ... Please contact Fred Williams, Chubb's Trail Steward [http://www.gorctrail...TOPIC_ID=3735]. He may have some projects in mind that he'd like to tackle, if only he had the manpower - you and your friends, perhaps - to move to the next step. At the minimum, he has an established relationship with Chubb's Land Manager, and would have a better idea of what they will allow as far as trail modifications on that section. If he can't be reached, don't hesitate to contact GORC's Prez, Bryan Adams (95vtr250 on the forum).

Craig Seibert, GORC Board Member

GORC/St. Charles County Parks Liaison

#10 shredzilla

shredzilla

Forum Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:43 PM

No problem craig, been a while since I have been here. I will Contact him soon, I would even be willing to donate some money to maybe some wooden drops!!?? LOL. I have been dreaming of those latley. If no one wants to have these built at a park ( which I would understand) then me and a couple freinds are going to find a sweet patch of woods and build something cool. Ill keep ya updated.

#11 Lichimus

Lichimus

Forum Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 02:00 PM

Has anyone ever approached or know anyone to talk to at Hidden Valley?! I would love to get a group together before it gets cold again to pitch a MTB park proposal to them as they can't be making much money at all in the off season with just the golf course....

Rick

#12 supradude

supradude

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 02:09 PM

Lichimus, there has been talk of it. Check out this thread http://gorctrails.co...=hidden,valley'.
Pizza is life. Beer helps.

#13 Lichimus

Lichimus

Forum Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:08 PM

OK thanks Ill reply on that one!

Rick

#14 shredzilla

shredzilla

Forum Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 07:21 PM

Lol sup Eric. Check the post about park in st Charles. I just posted and hope they are still moving forward

#15 joshman108

joshman108

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:36 PM

I'm dying for that stuff in st louis. There's really not a whole lot of space to do it other than the parks already in existence. I've scoped out castlewood and that just seems too small for a straight downhill. Chubb would be great from tables to tracks. It's kind of pathetic there isn't anything there. Some jumps and drops would be nice and not hard at all. If anything starts happening I'm totally in and will do anything to have more gnar here. I actually have access to 3, and potentially 10+ acres out in wildwood to build stuff on. I'm hoping that pans out in the near future. Josh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users