#1 G-Tracker

G-Tracker

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:21 AM

My bike is a 2011 with the 100mm F29 RL O/B Fox Fork

I have had my fork serviced twice per Fox by LBS. But even after service this last time I still couldn't set my sag. It would stop at 1/2" no matter how much air. I also have been having trouble with my front end. I knew something was wrong but couldn't put my finger on it. Going fast through the rough stuff was getting difficult and I thought it was technique or something. Steering was horrible which I blamed on my tire. Then I found this thread.

http://forums.mtbr.c...ton-734912.html

I opened up my top air chamber cap where there should not be any fluid except 5 cc's of air piston oil. It was almost filled up with lower leg suspension green fluid. I withdrew almost 60 cc's with a syringe.

There are 2 seals on the piston. One is foam and this is the one causing the problem. It is letting fluid from the lower leg get into the air chamber. There is a new seal fix that Fox will send you for free plus all the parts to fix it right. So if you call Fox they will either offer you to send in your fork for a warranty fix or send you the parts to do it yourself.

For my style fork you'll need a 26mm socket to check the air chamber - if no fluid retorque to 220 in lbs. (Let out air before removing cap)

If there is fluid the quick fix is easy for the in home wrenchers - after removing fluid, remove the 10mm nut on bottom of lower leg (get ready for fluid to come out) then push piston all the way up and pull off the foam piston seal. Then reassemble and add suspension fluid to lowers and 5cc air piston oil on top of the piston. (Detailed instructions are on Fox's website)

Or wait for the new seal and parts to fix it right.

Fox's Service number is 1-800-369-7469

I finally got my sag set on my bike and it's like riding a new bike. It is worth the effort to check this. It actually can be dangerous with it fluid filled. That much fluid reduced my travel and made control over roots and rocks a struggle.

Ride On

Please respond on here if you have found fluid. Thanks

Gary
Matson Hill Trail Steward

Who climbs up - gets to come down!

#2 bab74

bab74

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 09:02 AM

Does this mean free mechanic work?

Shiba Inu's Rock on MTBR

Shibas Kick Ass on Pinkbike

#3 G-Tracker

G-Tracker

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:49 PM

Sure thing Brett - bring it over and let's take a look. [8D] Not sure if the long travel 36's have this problem though.

Gary

#4 bab74

bab74

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 03:08 PM

it better not have problems yet still trying to break it in!

Shiba Inu's Rock on MTBR

Shibas Kick Ass on Pinkbike

#5 G-Tracker

G-Tracker

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:08 AM

Buddy of mine that bought a used Hifi (2010 or 2011 can't remember) checked his fork air chamber last night....it had about 2" of lower leg fluid in it. It is a common problem - if you are not comfortable doing this make sure you take it to your LBS...will be covered under Fox Warranty as noted above.

Gary

#6 ckelble

ckelble

Forum Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:11 AM

Thanks for this post. I had noticed oil leaking out of my left dust seal and so I pulled the top cap and found about 15-20cc's of oil on top of the piston. Sent Fox my info yesterday, so should hear back today.
'08 Giant XTC1
'12 Trek Superfly 100 AL Elite

#7 G-Tracker

G-Tracker

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:27 PM

Thanks for posting ckelble. If you call that Fox Service number they will send you everything you need to fix it if you ask. I sure hope everyone with the 2010 - 2011 forks are checking. It is dangerous if you like to ride fast and aggressive. Especially since it fills slowly and it is hard to notice that your forks aren't responding appropriately. One thing I did forget to mention is to lock your fork out before letting out the air. There is not much there to grab and the locked fork keeps it from movement when checking. A slipped socket will round the aluminum cap if you are not careful....[:0]

Gary

#8 ckelble

ckelble

Forum Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:08 AM

Fox is sending me the new air piston seals and gave me a deep discount on the bath oil I need to refill the fork. While I was at it, I ordered then new SKF low friction dust seals, which are supposed to be much better than the OEMs.
'08 Giant XTC1
'12 Trek Superfly 100 AL Elite

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users