• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Live2beoutside

Live2beoutside

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:03 PM

I'm thinking about taking a road trip down to do the Joe Dirt course. The recommendations are "mountain bike or CX bike with good tires". Could I get some more detailed opinions on what would qualify as a "good tires"? I currently have a pair of Challenge Fango 700 x 32's and a pair of Kenda small block 8's in 700 x 32. Both are low miles and in good shape...at least they are resilient enough for the gravel roads in Bush Wildlife.....are the roads for Joe Dirt any worse that the worst Bush Wildlife has to offer (including the hiking loop)?

#2 skibum77

skibum77

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:28 PM

Just saw this - I haven't been on the boards a lot lately. I looked at the pictures of your tires and I'd say you're probably okay. I did the ride in 2011 (on a 26" MTB) and there was one guy in the group that had about 3 flats, so if the tires are worn it could be a long day, but most of the people on CX bikes were fine, or they were so far ahead of me that if they flatted, they were able to change their tire and get on with it before I even caught them.

Co-Trail Steward - Bluff View, Rock Hollow

http://mappingthemiles.blogspot.com

#3 seamonkey

seamonkey

Site Admin

• Administrators
  • 596 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:40 PM

I rode 32's last year just fine. The majority of roads are covered with river gravel, paying attention to rocky hazards will keep the tires rolling.

Matt Hayes
GORC Board Member
Greensfelder Steward

#4 Live2beoutside

Live2beoutside

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:26 PM

Thanks for the feedback.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users