• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 tcovyc

tcovyc

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:33 AM

I have a question. I have been riding for years now and it seems that the horse poo on the trails is getting worse. I guess people are getting more lazy and instead of hiking or riding the trail they need an animal that munches on fiber constantly and poos every 20 steps. We all know that the horse riders are way to lazy to get off the animal and clear the trail. Is there any law already in affect that could make them clean up after their animal? Does anyone know anything about petitioning to get something like this passed? Any help and support would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Tom O

#2 B-unit

B-unit

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:31 AM

Granted that horse poop on trails is pretty unpleasant, it's just the way it is on shared-use trails/trail systems. 9 out of the 14 popular local mtb-legal trails are not open to equestrian use; those would be better options for people that favor a poo-free ride. For those remaining 5, dung happens. I'm not positive but I doubt that there are any horse poop laws in regard to trails. In regard to petitioning for one, while I certainly sympathize with your dislike of horse poop, that's probably a non-starter. If the rules for behavior on shared trails were really that malleable, I think the other user groups would likely have already imposed bans on biking with iPods, put up speed limit signs for bikes on trails, etc. Again, I'm not knocking you, man, and I hate having poop spattered on my water bottles (or worse) as much as the next guy, but "it just is what it is" on muti-use trails.

#3 b-herb

b-herb

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:19 PM

I hate horses more than anyone on here. Walking post-hole diggers that lay toxic waste on the trails while they ruin it. But: -they can't really bag it up -most, if not all, are too lazy to get off and kick it off the trail -even if there was a law, none of them would follow it Those butt bags they use on the streets are about the only option that I see, and I know that no one would use them. It's a thought, but it's probably a lost cause. The best way to fight it is to frequent the trails as much as possible to make them want to use other trails! At the same time, avoid the temptation to go off on them (Lord knows I have to), and always yield.

Save a trail, ride a bike!

\m/ >_< \m/

#4 seamonkey

seamonkey

Site Admin

• Administrators
  • 605 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:33 AM

So, just sayin' here, but everyone online is permitted to read these posts. I've come across other sites where equestrians and runners speak ill of local mountain bikers and I have to say it rubs me the wrong way - it also doesn't further the cause of coexistence. Multi-use trails are what they are and I have to agree with B-Unit's post above. I'd say this is the least of our worries and with all our riding options continuing to expand, biking can only get better. For some riders, I would argue that it's yet another technical trail feature they can ride around. [;)]

Matt Hayes
GORC Board Member
Greensfelder Steward

#5 smcr

smcr

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:25 AM

Well put, Mr. Monkey. Most of the horseback riders I've encountered on the trail have been pleasant and accommodating, I hope they view me and mine in the same light. As we all know, it takes but one or two post-holers to destroy a trail, don't blame it on every horse and rider you see. Just like biking trail skidders and inconsiderate trail hogs puts all of us under scrutiny. As far as poop goes, it would be cool to see it on the side of the trail rather than in, but personally it's the coyote sticky goo deathgasp poo that I have a beef with. Too small to see, NOT too small to notice if you have the misfortune of kicking some up. Chalking it up to the whole mtb'ing experience and enjoying the crap out of it. :D

#6 tcovyc

tcovyc

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:52 AM

I guess I am just mad at the laziness of some people. No doubt that all of the horseback riders that I have encountered have been pleasant and accommodating, also very lazy. I do a lot of riding at Indian Camp Creek due to the proximity of my house. There are portions of that trail where there is no other option than to ride through it because there is so much of it on the trail. This is a pain for not only mountain bikers but hikers and other horseback riders alike. Would it really be that much of a hassle to get off the horse for a 10 seconds and scoop the poo off the trail? Just because it is a shared trail does not give horseback riders the right to inconvenience everyone else by leaving their horses poo everywhere. Why does everyone think that this is a lost cause? or something that cannot be dealt with? There are laws in Missouri that prohibit me from leaving my dogs poo on any public or private land. I can actually be cited if I am caught doing so. This sounds like a perfect job for a high school kid that wants to work for the parks department He can monitor the trails and hand out tickets accordingly. Pipe dream of mine I am sure.
Tom O

#7 pilznr

pilznr

• 465 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:41 AM

If you feel that there is something adversely affecting your enjoyment of a particular trail, you should get in touch with the Parks Dept. or whatever land agency runs that trail, and let them know. This goes for any trail in the area, not just ICCP or other St. Charles County Parks. Most of the trails listed on the GORC Trails Page have links to each agency's web site, where you can find contact info.

Greensfelder Cat Herder

#8 yurmom

yurmom

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:16 PM

Parks people have the goal of providing facilities to as many people as they can. Equestrians need a place to ride too. In many trail advocacy situations, equestrians are the allies of MTB-ers. We need to coexist. If we are jerks to the equestrians, they are going to try to get bikes banned from certain trails. That said, I hate post-holes and dirty water bottles too. But I think it goes with the territory on multi-use trails. If we see horses out when it is too soft, call the land manager and ask them to close the trail to horses. Cameron Cameron
Don't forget to take your
hamburgered-elbow/poison-ivy/stinging-nettle/branch-in-the-eye
cream

#9 tcovyc

tcovyc

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:08 AM

I have no problems with multi use trails. I am all for horses being on the trail and have no problem pulling over to the side and letting that animal walk by. Co-existence between MTB-ers and equestrians is great. What I stated in my post is that I have a problem with lazy horseback riders that think they have the right to leave horse poo on the trail. Co-existence means that horse riders have some responsibility here too. They should be responsible for cleaning up after their animal just as a dog owner is. If they choose not to clean up and are caught then they should be fined.
Tom O

#10 TTM

TTM

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:19 PM

good luck tcovyc....

#11 bab74

bab74

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:38 PM

People get actually get fined for NOT picking up their dogs logs?

Shiba Inu's Rock on MTBR

Shibas Kick Ass on Pinkbike

#12 ssalmons

ssalmons

Forum Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:34 PM

What makes you think ALL horseback riders are lazy? How do you know these guys aren't working 60 hours a week to support their family? Just because they don't get off their horse and shovel poo does not make a person lazy. You should not be so quick to judge. There is no rule or ordinance that requires equestrians to pick up the waste from horses. If you don't like it, call the land manager and complain to them, or go ride somewhere else! Complaining on the interwebz is not going to help your cause, and talking poorly about every equestrian rider is not going to help anybody.

#13 tcovyc

tcovyc

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:07 AM

I never said anything about all of anyone being lazy. I stated "I am all for horses being on the trail and have no problem pulling over to the side and letting that animal walk by." Regardless of how many hours a week you work, if you have a child, dog, bird, horse,fish, etc, that you made a conscious choice to own/have then you also made a choice to clean up after that animal. If you do not clean up after your animal, your responsibility, then I think you are lazy in that regard. So yes, if someone does not get off a horse and shovel poo it does make them lazy. Back to my original point, I believe that there should be an ordinance that mandates horseback riders to clean up their animals poo off the trail so that it can be enjoyable for all groups of people to share. I came on here looking for support/advice to get something done. I am going to try anyway.
Tom O

#14 Fahtrim

Fahtrim

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:35 AM

Horses have the right away, if you ride a trail where horses go, expect poop, stop complaining about it, deal with it or ride somewhere else.

#15 bab74

bab74

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:59 AM

Just a thought. StlCo parks can allocate already non exsistent funds for the rangers to waste their time and hide in the woods and then spring into action when a horse takes dump? Getty up!

Shiba Inu's Rock on MTBR

Shibas Kick Ass on Pinkbike

#16 tcovyc

tcovyc

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:02 AM

Am I in a mountain bike forum?
Tom O

#17 kpumaorn

kpumaorn

Forum Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:48 PM

i too think that they should at least shovel it off the trail...you are not alone in this boat. but to be honest, theres most likely nothing you can do about it. when i ride with a group...we call out horse doo-doo...we were once coming up on a group of horses and a nice pile...and someone said 'horse shEt!' and one of the horse riders turns around and was like 'yeah thats my horses shEt' like she was proud of it...wow i do find it funny when i see the 'pick up after your dog' signs, then you run/ride the trail and there are horse logs all over.
Ryan

#18 lirch

lirch

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:41 PM

the law or ordinance you seek may already exist, and it prob all boils down to whether or not a horse is considered a "pet"

#19 The Krackheads

The Krackheads

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:55 AM

I think a road bike is certainly in your future, watch out for the random dog logs on the Grants Trail.....

Volunteers do not necessarily have the time; they just have the heart. ~Elizabeth Andrew

Bluffview/Rock Hollow Co-Trail Steward

#20 DRILLINDK

DRILLINDK

Forum Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:14 AM

Not only do I think the horse poo is an annoyance, but I beleive it could actually spread disease.  Think about a hot summer day.  When the trails are dry and that horse poo has dried and turned to dust.  Hikers/bikers have to inhale all those particles as we use the trail.  This could potentially lead to respiratory problems and other illnesses.

I don't know, maybe I'm blowing this out of proportion...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users