• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 eflanigan

eflanigan

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:23 PM

Hi- I heard talk that there may be some singletrack going in at queeny park and was wondering if anyone knows anything about it. I work at the Trek Store in Ballwin, and we are going to be putting a mountain bike race on in September. May be interested in holding it at Queeny if there would be enough trail. Any info is appreciated.
Thanks!
Emilie

#2 Craig

Craig

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:10 PM

The short answer is that I doubt there will be enough (any?) single track trail built in time for you to hold an event in September. ____________ While there have been ongoing discussions between GORC and some of St. Louis County Parks decision makers concerning Queeny, we aren't quite ready to "apply tools to dirt" yet. Not having spoken with Queeny's Super, I don't know if they would be interested in holding a mountain bike or cx event on the property. Even if they like the idea - and the site allows fun trails to be constructed - the layout might not be conducive to holding a multiple lap event. A local example of that would be Matson, with it's limited space for parking, a start/finish area, scoring table, etc. I'm cautiously optimistic that something positive will happen, but don't wish to speculate on the WHEN.

Craig Seibert, GORC Board Member

GORC/St. Charles County Parks Liaison

#3 mjj29er

mjj29er

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:50 PM

Queeny will be going through a major reclamation project to remove invasive plants and reintroduce native grasses and trees. We started mapping some trail only to find out that the area we looked at would be completely reworked and off limits. There should be a series of public meetings to present the idea of multi use, natural surface trail to anyone willing to attend. If all goes well, sometime after that a scope will be generated, trails mapped and single track could be born. A LOT must go right for all this to happen, but it still could happen. I don't think you will see any measurable trail for several years. The current 3 phase project we are working on at Lost Valley has been in the works for at least a year and a half, but probably longer. Keep in mind that we already had trails and an excellent standing relationship with the land manager of Lost Valley, the Department of Conservation. We have GORC members ready to take on the project and hopefully our volunteer efforts at other St. Louis County parks (Greensfelder, Creve Coeur, Cliff Cave....)will pave the way to a new opportunity in this centrally located urban setting. MashOr
Big N Tasty

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users