5 replies to this topic

#1 Fahtrim

Fahtrim

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:18 AM

Which are the good ones to keep feet warm in freezing conditions? Are they effective? Worth buying over buying dedicated winter biking boots?

#2 winterbiker

winterbiker

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:39 AM

IMO they're OK if you're only going to ride occasionally in cold weather, but if you're going to do a decent amount of cold weather riding over several winters, winter shoes are a better investment. For me, with all the toe covers and shoe covers I've bought and torn up, I could have bought winter shoes for less and been more comfortable, and not had to mess with covers.

#3 bulldog

bulldog

Geezer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:01 PM

Ditto what Ross said.
Downhills are fun! Uphills keep you young!

#4 Craig

Craig

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:20 PM

+3 on the dedicated winter shoe/boot. I've got some Pearl Izumi AmFib covers that just sit since I replaced my winter shoes. They helped ME until the temps got to the low 30's, but it's easier to just throw on the proper footwear.

Craig Seibert, GORC Board Member

GORC/St. Charles County Parks Liaison

#5 yurmom

yurmom

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:14 PM

After years of using toe-booties, I've decided to invest in some winter shoes (maybe in the Spring when they go on sale). I find that toes are the hardest body part for me to keep warm. With wool socks and toe booties I can ride down into the mid 30's. To ride into the 20's I add chemical toe warmer. My complaints with the booties are that they are difficult to get on/off your shoes. Also, they are fragile enough that walking on pavement (or rock) for any length of time will rip holes in them. One pair of toe booties ($15-$20) will last me 2-3 winters because I only ride 1-2 times a month in the winter. Cameron
Don't forget to take your
hamburgered-elbow/poison-ivy/stinging-nettle/branch-in-the-eye
cream

#6 TenBeers

TenBeers

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:37 AM

I have some Pearl Izumi shoe covers that work pretty well and seem to be pretty tough. Winter shoes are pretty pricey.

'11 Sawyer (suburban assault dog-running bike)

'16 Stache 9 29+

'16 Farley

'17 Fuel EX 8 27.5+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users