8 replies to this topic

#1 iKona40

iKona40

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 09:53 PM

I'd like to ride at Greensfelder this Sunday...weather / conditions permitting.

For an individual who has never ridden the trail before, where should I start / what would you recommend.

Been riding for several years, just have never made it to this trail.

I plan on packing a map and bringing a sundial.

Any group rides who'd enjoy a good laugh, I'd love to join you.

Dan R

#2 Axeman

Axeman

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 10:34 PM

I believe the first Sunday ride was moved back to this Sunday because of the first Sunday being Easter. The group usually meets at the Roundhouse lot (the one you will see on your left) at around Noon. This is a great ride for the one who has never been there before because it is a no drop ride and typically there are a range of skill level riders there so you can usually find someone who is willing to ride the same pace as you. This was how I introduced myself to Greensfelder and it is now possibly my favorite trail in the area even though I don't get to ride it much because its pretty far drive for me.
'06 Gary Fisher Piranha

#3 iKona40

iKona40

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 06:03 AM

Thanks for the info!

Dan R

#4 sasmith

sasmith

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 08:40 AM

Yep, weather permitting the First Sunday crew rides this weekend and you are more than welcome to join in. Here's a link http://www.gorctrail...p?TOPIC_ID=5966

AND, to get an up close and personal view of Greenfelder maybe you can make the workday the day before. Meet a lot of the great GORC people, build some trail, eat a bit of lunch and ride some then too. Here's a link http://www.gorctrail...p?TOPIC_ID=5963
Steve

#5 iKona40

iKona40

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 09:23 PM

What do most people choose to ride at Greensfelder? Full suspension, HT, SS etc.

Dan R

#6 Deserteagle99uzi

Deserteagle99uzi

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 11:11 PM

I ride FS or HT. I think SS is definitely doable for most of the dogwood and declue if you so choose. I would say full rigid would be a little bumpy especially on the back half of declue. FS is probably overkill but it does allow you to fly down the fun parts of declue worry free. If I had to pick an ideal it would be a narrowly geared HT 29er. The trails climbs are mostly gradual so the extra wheel size would make them trivial. There aren't too many tight spots for a 29er to get stuck and en experienced SSer could probably only put a foot down once or twice. I don't have the cardio to go SS on that trail but it is doable. Only one fall line hill comes to mind on the declue that would require use of the lowest chainring (on a typical 27 speed gearing) however I believe it is being rerouted around as it is not very long term sustainable. As for your first request of where to ride from: I would suggest the fork where the roundhouse breaks off of allenton road. There is a large gravel parking lot right at this fork. Most people park here as it provides access to both the dogwood loop and the northern trailhead of the Declue. I would ride the dogwood counterclockwise and the declue clockwise although this is strictly my preference. The dogwood in particular has no "right" way to ride it. Please look at the pdf map of the trail on the trails page on this website: http://www.gorctrail...reensfelder.pdf I would highly recommend printing off this map and cruising around scenic loop and allenton road a bit before riding the declue as it can be a little confusing just where you are coming out when you exit the trail near the radio tower. The multitude of shelters and campsites along the way doesn't make it any easier. I've spent extra hours personally backtracking on parts of eagle valley and gravel road in the twilight when I first started riding out here and it is easily avoidable with a good map and familiarity of the surroundings. Have fun!

#7 bulldog

bulldog

Geezer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,615 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 08:56 AM

quote:
Originally posted by iKona40
What do most people choose to ride at Greensfelder? I noticed a lot of people like to ride horses. That's their gig, not mine! I would love to ride my old YZ 250 there, but I heard that's NOT aloud. My personal favorite is my 5in. travel AM bike which I admit I do have to walk up a couple of the hills. ( no motor) My little 3in. travel NRS1 is great, but I noticed all of the rocks on the trail look like boulders. And lastly, I'll save my SS for CCP and C-Wood. Hope that helps Dan.[:)]

Downhills are fun! Uphills keep you young!

#8 sasmith

sasmith

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 09:39 AM

You can ride most any bike on any trail. But unless you are a seasoned singlespeeder I'd leave that at home for GF. Just bring your favorite, you'll have more fun if you're comfortable and confident on an unfamiliar trail.
Steve

#9 iKona40

iKona40

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 11:45 AM

Great...sounds like whatever I ride I should bring it...and a bucket. I plan on being there on a red Kona HT. Flag me down if you see me milling about cluelessly. Red will be appropriate...like the caboose on a train...dead last! Can't wait. Dan

Dan R

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users