lost valley trail steward contact

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 pilznr

pilznr

• 464 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:57 PM

Larry Koester (LRK) is the Trail Steward for Lost Valley - Missouri
Conservation Area, and John Donjoian (pimp-daddy) is his assistant.

PM them through their screen names on the message board, or post here in
this forum if you have any questions or concerns about the trails in
this park.

Greensfelder Cat Herder

#2 gtried

gtried

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:24 AM

What is the best way to get ahold of MCA or a GORC member that could open the gate from the trail head parking lot in the event of an injury that is not bad enough to call ems?   We came across an group that had an a rider with a possible broken elbow.  They were 2 miles in from the gate and she wouldn't walk out.  They eventually got MCA back there but it was well over an hour.  Is there a better way other than just a straight call to 911?

2013 Trek Superfly 100 AL Pro

2017 Trek Fuel EX 9.8

#3 LRK

LRK

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 12:37 PM

I'll defer to John Vogel (area manager for MDC) for a response to your question.  John looks at this forum regularly so I expect you'll see a response from him fairly soon.

Larry

#4 Woodland Wildlife

Woodland Wildlife

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 06:18 PM

The best option is to call 911 if there is an injury.  The local fire department and ambulance service are better equipped to handle emergencies and have access to the gates.  Most Department of Conservation staff are not trained as First Responders.  In addition, there is no guarantee that you will be able to reach a Department employee or have someone respond quickly.  The staff members that work on the area mainly work on weekdays and in addition to the Weldon Spring Conservation Area (area where Lost Valley Trail is located), the work team members are also responsible for many other conservation areas and may not be on-site.  There is usually at least one Conservation Agent (law enforcement) on duty at all times, but they are responsible for patrolling the entire county and may not be nearby to respond.

The accident that took place this weekend is a good example of this.  It took well over an hour for the Conservation Agent to respond because they were in another part of the county working on another issue and there were no area staff on duty.  Had the injured rider, or someone from the group contacted 911 and requested assistance, the response would have been immediate. 

As far as GORC members opening the gate to assist: There are only a couple of GORC members that have keys to open the area gates.  The sole purpose of the keys is to allow access to support trail maintenance/workdays and the GORC members with keys have been very good about communicating with the land managers on when they will be on the area with vehicles. 

I hope this information helps!

John Vogel

#5 gtried

gtried

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 09:38 AM

Thanks for the info John.

In this particular case, because it was an arm injury  (not leg or head) I personally think a walk out would have been the best.  I argee with the 911 call if it a bad enough  injury to the rider.  We have had broken ribs, dislocated fingers, and cuts that required stitches.  None of them were a 911 call.  I am glad to have the knowledge that in the event of a true injury 911 will have a way in.

2013 Trek Superfly 100 AL Pro

2017 Trek Fuel EX 9.8

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lost valley, trail steward, contact

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users