2 replies to this topic

#1 Deserteagle99uzi

Deserteagle99uzi

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 07:17 AM

Did a night ride 4/9 and got to check out the entire new section. The whole trail was about as dry as it ever gets save for a few spots on the new section (more on this below). This was my first time on the newest bit that empties out onto the old connector. I have to say I was quite impressed, I knew SOME knew singletrack was being added but I didn't realize how much. This trail is a lot longer and lot more fun now and it is also naturally setup for a nice figure 8 loop.

I did take the time to remove the 1st stick sponge on the first reroute, however all the later stick bridge/sponge messes later on were too built up for me to have the time to get rid of without my lights running low. I plan on riding this again in the daylight so I can try to take it a bit faster. I will have the time to tear out all the stick sponges at this point in time but I'm not sure if I should as some of them seemed like they were holding up ok. The entire rest of the trail was all dry (even the switchbacks on the reroute). I would bet that if all the stick sponges were gone the trail would be dry in a week or two in these spots. They really seemed to ruin the flow of the trail as most of them are at the dips in the trail that should be sped through. Since I was riding my FS I could smash through them ok but it was still a little hairy and definitely ruined the rythm of these sections. Anyone affiliated with LV please let me know if removing these is ok or not.

The log pile that was referred to earlier is still there and is built at an angle to the natural camber of the trail making for a pretty nasty passover. The obstructing object is a large tree that came down across the trail. I am attaching a screenshot marking the tree and if any sawyer for the area/trail could get out and there and get it removed it will save quite a bit of erosion that is forming at this point. It is not a hard place to get to from the lower lot. Thanks!

The tree is down on the hillside immediately after the dip down into the creek heading clockwise which I have marked with a red X on the map. Feel free to call me if you need more specific directions of where it is (314-329-1686). It is very close to the entrance from the abandoned road.
Posted Image

#2 The Barryman

The Barryman

Forum Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 08:37 PM

Stick Sponge? Hopefully you are not refering to the branches that we put in the bottom of the dips on the new section. Surely not. I've been riding out there a bunch lately. The only issue I really saw was the log pile. It is rideable, but the consequences for messing up on it are pretty harsh.

#3 Deserteagle99uzi

Deserteagle99uzi

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 12:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by The Barryman
Stick Sponge? Hopefully you are not refering to the branches that we put in the bottom of the dips on the new section. Surely not. I've been riding out there a bunch lately. The only issue I really saw was the log pile. It is rideable, but the consequences for messing up on it are pretty harsh.
You are correct. The wood "armoring" is what I was referring to. I left all of it in the new section since I wasn't sure if removing it now was ok. It is my understanding that it will have to be removed to let those sections dry out now that it is warm and dry enough for them to do so. Whether this happens along with rock armoring or not remains to be seen but it has been referenced in a couple other threads that this temp fix will probably have to be removed if the tread of the trail is to develop fully: http://gorctrails.co...p?TOPIC_ID=5970 http://gorctrails.co...p?TOPIC_ID=5956 I am by no means an expert on this but a couple other GORC members mentioned that this might be a problem when I spoke with them in person, however b/c of my level of inexperience with trail maintenance I posted about it on here first to try to get some kind of response about what is appropriate to do. I don't mind pulling all these "armor" jobs out if it is just a matter of labor, however I don't want to undue a bunch of work which could be left as permanent. Hopefully someone with a bit more trail knowledge can post on here with how to proceed as I won't be acting to remove any of it without a good deal of confirmation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users