9 replies to this topic

#1 Craig

Craig

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:42 PM

Long time riders have been thru Bangert flooding on a yearly basis - 2012 being an exception.  This link is an example of the chatter during a previous flood, and what to expect.  The minor details may be different, but all the basic things apply; trash will be sitting in the middle of the trail, limbs will have fallen, trees may have blocked all or part of certain sections, etc.  Please remember, just because the water is gone from the slough doesn't mean all the trails are dry or above water. 

That won't stop people from splashing thru the slough to ride there anyway ...

Please feel free to post questions here, or PM Muddragon or myself thru the board.  We'll do our best to keep everyone up-to-date on what's happening out there.  (We rely on Keith, Tony, Diana, and the other regular Bangert users/posters, who keep us informed on when the Island is accessible, and it's condition.  Say Thanks when you see them on the trail!)

Craig Seibert, GORC Board Member

GORC/St. Charles County Parks Liaison

#2 Itzdapig54

Itzdapig54

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 07:03 AM

Typically the slough and the first couple hundred feet of trail in all directions are the last to dry,but the rest of the trail is usually rideable unless the water was above flood stage for a considerable time,this is the reason most trudge through the slough,myself included.I have hundreds and hundreds of laps at Bangert and it dries out very fast,it generally has a very thin layer of goo on top of a well packed base at worse after a normal rain,still haven't figured out exactly where the water comes in at during the flood (the actual low spot of the island).Back to riding on a normal basis and ride Bangert multiple time a week and will keep the reports coming.

Keith

Just as a side note, the tree at the trail head fell on the parks departments sign board ,so the trail open/closed sign was destroyed.

#3 Itzdapig54

Itzdapig54

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:19 AM

Took a quick trip down to check it out. Water is down in the slough but right at the bottom of the metal bridge.small debris at bridge. South loop is clear all the way around to where it opens into the middle connector area where it is water for as far as you can see. Sandy loop is clear and open. North loop along river is good, but once you turn to go back away from river it is all water.

So the water is covering the entire middle of the island. The middle connector trail it looks to be about a foot deep.

Looking at a week or so with no more rain IMHO before it may be rideable.

#4 Craig

Craig

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:54 AM

SCCP's staff is building a new sign this week.  It will be installed asap, based upon their schedule.

#5 Craig

Craig

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 02:11 PM

Just bringing this topic back to everyone's attention ...

NOAA is forecasting the Missouri to be back below 23' in St. Charles on Wednesday, 6/3/15 (source: http://water.weather...1,1,1,0,1,1,1,1), which means the BRIDGE will be above water again.  Not so much the trails. 

Please re-read the original post if you are just itching to get out onto the trails - things might not be as wonderful as you remember.  

Once people DO start venturing out to the trails, please let us know where the work is needed, so we may coordinate with SCCP's to rectify the situation.  Got info?  Please either;

• post here with the details; i.e. "tree down at the intersection of the middle trail and the north loop, near the overlook bench".  Or, "propane tank left on the trail .5 mile into the south loop, while going CCW" (it's happened during a previous flood!)
  • send a PM thru the board to Bangert's Trail Steward, Tony C.  Or,
  • send ME a PM thru the board.

We will do what we can to get the trail back to "normal", but keep in mind that the water standing on the trail usually takes a week or two to dissipate, and that sand will have been left in strange spots.  Don't like it?  Just wait til the next flood, where things are sure to change again.

#6 Itzdapig54

Itzdapig54

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 08:38 PM

Water is still a foot over the the bridge as of Sunday afternoon

#7 Craig

Craig

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 05:53 AM

Water is headed up again - forecast to be 28' or higher by late tonight/early Tuesday.

#8 Craig

Craig

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 08:00 PM

The slough is getting better, and SCCP's will be sending workers out to start the cleanup process in the near future.  When I hear something, I will pass it along.  Now, for a repeat from earlier in the year ...

Once people DO start venturing out to the trails, please let us know where the work is needed, so we may coordinate with SCCP's to rectify the situation.  Got info?  Please either;

• post here with the details; i.e. "tree down at the intersection of the middle trail and the north loop, near the overlook bench".  Or, "propane tank left on the trail .5 mile into the south loop, while going CCW" (it's happened during a previous flood!)
  • send a PM thru the board to Bangert's Trail Steward, Tony C, link @ http://gorctrails.com/contact-us.  Or,
  • send ME a PM thru the board.

We will do what we can to get the trail back to "normal", but keep in mind that the water standing on the trail usually takes a week or two to dissipate, and that sand will have been left in strange spots.  Don't like it?  Just wait til the next flood, where things are sure to change again.

#9 Craig

Craig

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 01:26 PM

SCCP's staff just finished several days of debris clearing, reroute building, and vegetation trimming.  There are still some soft spots (reroutes that need tires, areas where water and/or litter were sitting), and there's bound to be a couple spots that could have been trimmed more, but it is officially open.

Please let us know where the ugliest spots are, and we'll see what we can do to address them. 

• TTM likes this

#10 as4me

as4me

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 07:10 PM

Rode this evening. Looks like lots of work was done. Thanks to all!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users