2 replies to this topic

#1 alpinerockfiend

alpinerockfiend

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 08:02 AM

Check out the OTA site. This is their discription of the work done over the weekend. We saw a huge crew leaving B-man camp on Sunday. The backcountry trail scene just keeps getting better in MO.

Thanks to the efforts of over 160 volunteers this weekend, the "gap" in the Courtois section of the OT has been replaced with beautiful trail. Previously, users of the OT had to use a gravel road to travel between the Huzzah Conservation Area and Harmon Springs. Now trail between the Narrows south of the Huzzah Conservation Area to a point just west of Harmon Spring is complete.

Challenged to complete the last 3/4 mile of the Courtois Gap, did our volunteers deliver! Starting around 9 AM Saturday morning, crew leaders and crews set out, completing their job well before the 3:30 PM cut-off time. Thanks go out to all who attended along with a special "helmets-off" to our intrepid early crew led by Rick Schuh, Robert Smith and Todd Horn. This group of 25 started their trail-building day at 8 AM, finished their own work, and then hiked back out to help other crews polish off their sections, insuring that the gap would be filled.

After working all day, volunteers enjoyed a barbeque dinner, raffle and silent auction, plus great music around the bonfire by the Michael Jonas Band. Also at this event, 11 OTA volunteers were honored with Red Jacket awards for completing twenty trail construction outings.

Thanks to our sponsor Alpine Shop for donating great prizes, arranging for the Red Jackets, and for the SmartWool socks provided to all our volunteers. This event raised approximately $3,100 for the OTA: more than $1,300 from raffle tickets alone. Thanks also to our hosts at Bass River Resort for again providing free camping for OTA volunteers.

SINGLETRACK MIND

#2 JohnMc

JohnMc

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 06:01 PM

It was a nice day to be out working in the woods. We just do it for the socks, really.

#3 smcr

smcr

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 08:48 PM

I thought it was for the biscuits and gravy and coffee. :D Bass River Resort was cool, the band was great, the two preteen boys trying to impress a girl were hilarious, my Asolos will be terrific when I get up to the Alpine shop for the right size/style, the raffle swag sweet, and I tested out the SmartWool socks on the Green Rock trail the following day. I'll be getting more of those! PS. Is anyone missing a jacket? Found one around the 7 mile marker on the Green Rock 4/11/10. Left a note on at the Eureka trailhead and with St. Louis County Parks. Would really like to find the owner...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users