Forest Staley Park - Eureka MO

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 95vtr250

95vtr250

Advanced Contributor

• 970 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 11:24 AM

First off, thank you for your continued interest in putting in a trail at Forest Staley Park.  What you are doing is the basic groundwork of what it takes to get a project started.  I commend your perseverance in trying to make this happen.

My comments:

Design:  GORC adheres to USFS and IMBA standards in natural surface trail design.  Design is also done in collaboration with the landowner/manger.  In this case, we have a good relationship with St. Louis County and will work with them to design a trail that will conform to basic standards that have been developed and accepted by them.

Construction:  GORC maintains insurance for non-county sponsored events/trail builds/etc.  However, if this project is to take place in a St. Louis County Park, it would be covered by their workman's comp insurance.

Liability:  Covered by the recreational use statute as long as no man-made structures are present.

I can try and be at the meeting on the 10th.

Thanks,

Bryan

Bryan Adams, GORC Board Member
Why should I change my name, he's the one that sucks!

#22 johnamus

johnamus

Forum Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 09:54 PM

Bryan and I attended the HOA meeting, and it went well. Thanks again Bryan for helping with this; I think having a voice of savvy and experience on hand to anticipate the board's concerns and put them at ease was key to a successful meeting.

I was happily suprised to see that out of the 4 other residents who were in attendance to discuss an unrelated issue, 2 of them turned out to be a trail runner and a mountain biker who were excited about helping construct the trail.

As for the board, they seemed like a responsible and competent crew who were mostly excited about providing access to the park for the residents. They needed a little more time to give due diligence to possible insurance and legal concerns but seemed to think that a yea or nay decision could possibly be reached before June. I plan to attend the meeting next month in order to keep the issue fresh and demonstrate continued interest.

#23 Free Riding Fool

Free Riding Fool

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 04:26 PM

Damn I wish I wasn't out of town as I could have attended!  I am a current resident so I plan on being at the next meeting.  PM me if you guys want to discuss anything before the meeting as I am still new to all of this.....

Thanks again for your efforts!!

-Eric

What goes up must BOMB down!

#24 johnamus

johnamus

Forum Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 01:38 PM

Eric, glad to hear that another resident is on board with the trail!

If you know other bikers/hikers in the area it would be good to spread the word to them; in the best case scenario we begin construction next year and we'll need lots of volunteers to make it happen.  I'd be cautious when spreading the word to non-trail users in case any neophobe's in the community hear of the plan and try to block it from happening.  From my limited experience it seems like a vocal-minority has a surprising amount of power to effect change at the HOA level.

#25 Free Riding Fool

Free Riding Fool

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 10:33 AM

Sure np and yeah discreet is my middle name.  I only moved in about 6 months ago so might only know of one other person in the neighborhood plus my wife lol.  We will be there unless something comes up.

Thanks again!!

-Eric

#26 johnamus

johnamus

Forum Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 06:03 PM

Forrest Staley's southern bluff in the distance as seen from 'Myron and Sonya Glassberg' Conservation Area:

GlassbergView.jpg

#27 Stl_Greaser

Stl_Greaser

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 07:27 PM

That's odd, a friend if mine from high school was out at Myron and Sonya glassberg conservation area today!
Brian Barton
Broemmelsiek Trail Steward

#28 johnamus

johnamus

Forum Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 10:30 PM

I was out there around 3 with a camera and a beard, there were quite a few cars in the lot, but didn't encounter many people on the trails.  

Beautiful views from the bluff top as always, I think the thing that sets the Meramec valley view apart at Glassberg is the jagged erosion on the bluff top which allows a person to see and appreciate the precipitous drop off to the valley below.  If you've spotted these guys then you know what I'm talking about:

BuderMemorials.jpg

Between the Young and Glassberg Conservation Areas, which are connected via road, there seems to be geologic potential for some great singletrack to add to the primitive trails that exist at both. 

#29 Free Riding Fool

Free Riding Fool

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 02:40 PM

I know in March BA mentioned this on the meeting minutes so have we heard anything on it or who is the contact we are waiting on as I would like to revisit the issue? Can I/we reach out to them again?:

• Forest Staley Park, Eureka MO.  Needs to be put on hold for the time being until St. Louis County decides on land use and it

-Eric

#30 seamonkey

seamonkey

Site Admin

• Administrators
  • 599 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:00 AM

This park will remain undeveloped for the time being. Since those meeting minutes were posted back in March absolutely nothing new has come about regarding Forest Staley.

GORC reached out to STL county but the idea was quickly and promptly shut down. So that is where this project idea stands and nothing in the short term will change its status. Consider yourself lucky to have access to it from your home in the Legends. The small park being landlocked by the subdivision, among other things, is a major issue.

Matt Hayes
GORC Board Member
Greensfelder Steward

#31 Free Riding Fool

Free Riding Fool

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:26 AM

Ok thanks Matt I guess it will be our personal trail for the time being then!

-Eric

#32 Loochy88

Loochy88

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 11:49 AM

Bumping this thread way to the top, as apparently the adjacent Lavender farm is now up for sale. Will be interesting to watch and see what happens with this land.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users