9 replies to this topic

#1 johnamus

johnamus

Forum Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:08 PM

For the first time I tried the Chubb a couple nights ago starting at the West Tyson loop.  Without realizing it I ended up taking what must have been a rogue trail that eventually turned straight up a fall line that crested a hill where the trees have been cleared for powerlines.  I'd estimate this took place within 2 miles from the trailhead at West Tyson loop.

The puzzling part about my inadvertent detour is that I stayed on maintained trail the entire time, so I'm not sure where the Chubb trail split off and the rogue trail began. If it happened to me I'm sure I'm not the only one.  Is anyone familiar enough with the trail to know where the rogue path splits off from this portion of Chubb?  I'd like to avoid making the mistake when I head out again.  

#2 Stl_Greaser

Stl_Greaser

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 10:07 AM

It breaks off fit where you would need to make a 180° right hand turn. There would be a bunch of rocks and logs on the outside radius of hat turn to keep you on path. I wonder if they have been moved out of the way?
  • Stl_Greaser likes this
Brian Barton
Broemmelsiek Trail Steward

#3 Samit

Samit

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 11:41 AM

Yes, some of the rocks have been moved. This rogue trail goes nowhere for a bad reason, that some do not want to try the 180 degree turn to the right. This has been a problem for years, and the rogue has never gone anywhere except off the property. It has been regularly blocked, and that has been constantly removed. There used to be a switchback sign there, but that has been removed as well.

#4 Fahtrim

Fahtrim

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 01:12 PM

LOL, I did this exact same thing the first time I went to CHUBB.  It really is deceiveing, looks like the trail keeps going.  I didn't see the turn until I double back and was looking for it.  Good signage there would be nice.  I guess some people get so confused they think the trail is blocked!

#5 supradude

supradude

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 01:35 PM

LOL, I did this exact same thing the first time I went to CHUBB.

Ditto!  Plus it was my first ever MTB ride, and to top it off I lost a $250 pair of glasses on that stupid rogue trail by the powerlines.

Pizza is life. Beer helps.

#6 johnamus

johnamus

Forum Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:17 PM

Thanks for the responses. Glad to hear I'm not the first one to do this.  I don't remember encountering a rock wall at any point, but I went into Chubb expecting challenging terrain, so maybe I rode over them thinking they were a mini version of The Steps!  

I'll give it another shot, and look for a switchback along the way.

#7 bulldog

bulldog

Geezer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 11:58 PM

We'll be ther for a Chubb club ride Sunday morning, starting at 9 am.

Downhills are fun! Uphills keep you young!

#8 johnamus

johnamus

Forum Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 02:29 PM

After succesfuly navigating the switchback I posted the Chubb-Flint Quarry route here along with an indication where the rogue trail splits off:http://www.mtbprojec...int-quarry-loop. Hopefully this helps other first-timers.

The overlook at Mimi's bench is really scenic, is the overlook on the Chubb past The Steps just as scenic?

#9 gss

gss

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 12:23 PM

After succesfuly navigating the switchback I posted the Chubb-Flint Quarry route here along with an indication where the rogue trail splits off:http://www.mtbprojec...int-quarry-loop. Hopefully this helps other first-timers.

The overlook at Mimi's bench is really scenic, is the overlook on the Chubb past The Steps just as scenic?

No.  It is at a much lower elevation and you overlook a field.

#10 CoffeeBananaBike

CoffeeBananaBike

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 03:53 PM

It probably had something to do with the bananas and coffee. Did you smell coffee? Or bananas? The real trail was blocked by a banana pileup, so you took a different, imposter trail. Then that one was flooded by coffee, so you went even more off-trail.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users