6 replies to this topic

#1 johnamus

johnamus

Forum Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:43 PM

Had a chance to ride the Chubb this weekend from West Tyson to Lone Elk and back. On the way back through West Tyson, on the section from the lookout to the picnic table, as my already tired lungs and legs were burning I wondered why the trail is routed almost directly uphill through this section.  

Glancing at the topography, it appears that there are a couple route options within West Tyson that would offer a 5-6% grade (red line) versus the current routing's 8-9% grade (blue line).  Would such a route pass through impassable terrain e.g. The Steps on steroids, that would make the route impassible for hikers/horses?  Or was the current steep ridge-top route deemed sustainable due to the rocky terrain?

It looks like Chubb was originally blazed back in the eighties, was anyone here on the scene back then? (Chubb was awesome this weekend by the way)

ChubbRoute.JPG

#2 pilznr

pilznr

• 452 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 06:24 AM

http://gorctrails.bl...hubb-trail.html

Greensfelder Cat Herder

#3 supradude

supradude

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:39 AM

Great article.  And John, I like to think of Chubb as an amazing place to hone your technical skills, become a better climber and overal a better rider.  If I wanted something with less of what Chubb has to offer I wouldn't ride there.  What is so great about our area is we have so many different trails to ride with different varieties of difficulty.  Let's not make Chubb less "tough", but rather those lungs and legs stronger :-)

• Honch likes this
Pizza is life. Beer helps.

#4 The Krackheads

The Krackheads

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 855 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:13 AM

Ron, thanks for the article, that is too cool..... I first rode Chubb in the fall of 1987, It certainly has changed a lot since then

Volunteers do not necessarily have the time; they just have the heart. ~Elizabeth Andrew

Bluffview/Rock Hollow Co-Trail Steward

#5 johnamus

johnamus

Forum Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 12:06 PM

Thanks for the link!  Great to see info like this preserved for relative newcomers like me.

"Dennis scouted the north side of the park for days before finding the break in the Kimmswick outcropping that bicyclists call "The Step"."

It looks like 'The Steps' presented the best trail route through the limestone outcropping.  With that considered, by the time the trail passes through that point the present routing looks optimal.

If I read this next bit correctly, it appears that there was an intention to reroute the pre-existing steep sections:

"The two steep climbs at the highest ridge on the trail, before and after the picnic table, were preexisting horse trails that were to be improved, but have not been."

My initial thought was that a 5% uphill route to go along with the sweet existing 9% downhill would help relieve traffic for those going downhill and provide options for those going uphill.  What an amazing trail as-is though. Thank you all for creating/maintaining it. 

#6 pilznr

pilznr

• 452 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 12:39 PM

The article is out of date in regard to the part about the unimproved steep climbs. They're still there, but reroutes were built for them a few years ago.

Greensfelder Cat Herder

#7 johnamus

johnamus

Forum Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 10:23 PM

I rode the reroutes you mentioned this weekend. They made the Chubb experience a lot more enjoyable. St Louis is really blessed with some great topography.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users