5 replies to this topic

#1 The Krackheads

The Krackheads

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 04:26 PM

I am curious what the master plan is for Rock Hollow?  Overall mileage, trail layout etc. Will the trail that was started 3 weeks ago meet up with the trail work that was started 2 years ago?  I seem to recall this was a bit south of the newest piece of trail.   What was the thought behind the trail to nowhere on the east side of the asphalt path?  Thanks,

Volunteers do not necessarily have the time; they just have the heart. ~Elizabeth Andrew

Bluffview/Rock Hollow Co-Trail Steward

#2 mjj29er

mjj29er

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:22 AM

It does connect now.  I didn't go far enough in at the work day but just around the corner is the switchback that we didn't build 2 years ago.  It still isn't finished.

Don't know much else.

Big N Tasty

#3 Craig

Craig

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,604 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:24 AM

Sam has been spearheading this project, and is the best source of info, but our fearless leader may be able to shed some light on the missing pieces. 

From what I remember, it's going to be a 7(+?) mile lolipop style trail.  At one time, GORC was building "proof of concept" sections - switchback corner w/retaining wall, armored creek crossing, etc - that were intended to be shown to potential bidders for the project.  A "this is what we want built" kinda thing, and financed by the land agencies involved.  I don't know what has happened beyond that, except that there is still STRONG interest in seeing this get completed within certain government offices. 

Edited by Craig, 10 October 2013 - 08:25 AM.

Craig Seibert, GORC Board Member

GORC/St. Charles County Parks Liaison

#4 95vtr250

95vtr250

Advanced Contributor

• 970 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 10:10 AM

Craig pretty much answered your question.  Attached is a map of the original route that has been scouted by Sam and Dennis Hogan with St. Louis County Parks among a few others from both GORC and St. Louis County.

As Craig stated, the original plan did not have us (GORC) building this trail, except for some of the harder sections.  However, that plan has changed and we have gotten started on the western part of the trail.  This will eventually be a loop on both sides of the valley that is in the 6 mile range.

Once GORC decided we were going to invest our resources into building the trail, we decided to start with usable trail that people could get on and get excited about.  Hopefully with the help of Americorp, we can start making some progress towards a real urban quadfecta.

Attached Thumbnails

• 22 Creeks Trail, walk on 9-23-10.jpg

Bryan Adams, GORC Board Member
Why should I change my name, he's the one that sucks!

#5 skibum77

skibum77

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 07:30 PM

1)  Quadfecta - I assume you mean Castlewood, Rock Hollow, Bluff View, and Greensfelder, right?  Or something different?

2) Looking at the map and from what I've seen riding what we just built, there appears to be a path heading off into the woods from where the partially built switchback is located, and the red trail on the map forks in that area as well. Is a singletrack connection to Bluff View in the works as well?

Co-Trail Steward - Bluff View, Rock Hollow

http://mappingthemiles.blogspot.com

#6 95vtr250

95vtr250

Advanced Contributor

• 970 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 06:24 AM

Yes and yes.

Bryan Adams, GORC Board Member
Why should I change my name, he's the one that sucks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users