13 replies to this topic

#1 Craig

Craig

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 08:47 AM

What: The Fall 2013 Matson Hill Trail Build Day, presented by the fine folks at  post-2-0-71491100-1383661834.gif.

Patrick will be there again from etrailer.com, and he will be bringing a couple of new bike racks to show and answer questions about. They are will also be bringing some Thule and Yakima trunk racks to raffle off to the participants of the work day.  If you are gathering info for a roof rack, or want to carry up to 5 heavy (50#) bikes, Patrick has some info for ya.  More details at the event ...

Where: The Matson Hill Park trail head.

(The most straightforward way) from the Highway 40/94 interchange: Take Highway 94 South approximately 13 miles. Go past Defiance to Matson, turn right and follow Matson Hill Rd to the top of the hill. Turn right onto Matson Road (now paved) and go ~ .5 mile to the trailhead, which will be on your left.  Or, right click the green bike available at this link, and follow the directions from there.

When: Saturday, November 16th , 2013, from 9:00~1:00.

Why: To finish rerouting a steep section of trail that has become root infested and is unsustainable, and possibly some maintenance.

Got Q's?: Please read the link to pilznr's "What to expect at a Trail Build Day" - http://forum.gorctrails.com/index.php/topic/2265-what-to-expect-at-a-trail-building-day/.  Or, post up here, and we'll do our best to answer things for ya.

Weather: the decision to cancel will be made by SCCP's and posted on the Trail Hotline (636-949-7475, click the programs prompt), so if there is any doubt, please check there before heading out.  We will do our best to update the forum/Twitter, but that will rely upon available cell coverage.  

Please RSVP via;

GORC/SCCP's will provide on site instruction, tools, gloves, safety glasses, and a post event lunch*.

*Please contact us if you have any specific food requirements (veggie or food allergy), and we'll do our best to assist you.

NOTE: Lindenwood University is planning on sending some of it's student/athletes out to help us on this, so please let us know if you are available/interested in acting as a crew leader.  Early estimates are for ~ 20 attendees.  The Lindenwood group is no longer able to attend.

Craig Seibert, GORC Board Member

GORC/St. Charles County Parks Liaison

#2 mjj29er

mjj29er

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:06 PM

I won't be able to make it.  Remember to fill up your Scouting for Food bags so we can pick them up while you build trail.

Big N Tasty

#3 sasmith

sasmith

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 07:39 PM

In
Steve

#4 bulldog

bulldog

Geezer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 07:47 PM

After riding Matson today and actually succeeding riding up the "root infested" climb out to the parking lot, I want to say here I prefer that the trail not be changed to make it "easier"/sustainable. I always look forward to the challenge of climbing all that nastiness, even though I know I will  probably stall out at least 1 or 4 times on the way up. I think the roots and rocky step ups make Matson a more memorable experience. Just my 2 cents.

Downhills are fun! Uphills keep you young!

#5 Craig

Craig

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 07:26 AM

After riding Matson today and actually succeeding riding up the "root infested" climb out to the parking lot, I want to say here I prefer that the trail not be changed to make it "easier"/sustainable. I always look forward to the challenge of climbing all that nastiness, even though I know I will  probably stall out at least 1 or 4 times on the way up. I think the roots and rocky step ups make Matson a more memorable experience. Just my 2 cents.

Relax sir - there are no plans to alter the climbs up to the trailhead.  The primary work area will be near the #3 on the GORC map, and we've spent some time making sure that while it will be more sustainable, it won't be any easier.  More will be revealed this Saturday ...

#6 The Krackheads

The Krackheads

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:13 AM

Pat, You must be referring to Castlewood where some azzzzhole took it upon himself to chop out a section of roots from the Sycamore tree in the UP right of way.  It wont be long before the recumbent group is riding the backside of CW.

• Fahtrim likes this

Volunteers do not necessarily have the time; they just have the heart. ~Elizabeth Andrew

Bluffview/Rock Hollow Co-Trail Steward

#7 boomslang

boomslang

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 11:00 AM

I'll be there.  RSVP doesn't want to accept my login for some reason.

#8 ohearl

ohearl

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 01:02 PM

In.
Earl Poe
Only 5% of the earth is paved.
Uphills are worth it because it means you get to go down, hill that is!!

#9 etrailer

etrailer

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 10:56 AM

We're looking forward to it. Hope the weather holds up. 

Here to Answer all Bike Rack/Roof Rack/Hitch Questions

Just ask!

#10 Craig

Craig

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 02:25 PM

Much Thanks to those who gave up part of their Saturday to build trail!

We managed to complete two reroutes, closed off the old trail, and even cut a few drains. Patrick & Matt from ETrailer came out, answered questions, demoed a few items, & raffled off several new racks.

#11 smcr

smcr

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 06:22 AM

Thanks to e-trailer's Patrick and Matt for the really nice new Thule rack and for answering questions concerning future rack needs for the truck. :)

#12 etrailer

etrailer

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:53 AM

Big thanks to all of you that came out and worked so hard.

If anyone has any questions or some photos to share, hit me up. My email is patrick.breedlove@etrailer.com

Here to Answer all Bike Rack/Roof Rack/Hitch Questions

Just ask!

#13 Fahtrim

Fahtrim

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 07:04 PM

Relax sir - there are no plans to alter the climbs up to the trailhead. The primary work area will be near the #3 on the GORC map, and we've spent some time making sure that while it will be more sustainable, it won't be any easier. More will be revealed this Saturday ...

But the workday did remove root corner and the other rooty climb. I understand why but he was a bit misled.

I really like the big reroute. The root corner reroute does make the ride a bit less of a challenge, esp if going ccw.

Great work overall, just needs tires on it. Was soft this morn but no issues riding it.

By my odometer added about 1/4 mile to the loop. Thanks for everyone doing this.

#14 Craig

Craig

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 07:54 PM

But the workday did remove root corner and the other rooty climb. I understand why but he was a bit misled.
I really like the big reroute. The root corner reroute does make the ride a bit less of a challenge, esp if going ccw.
Great work overall, just needs tires on it. Was soft this morn but no issues riding it.
By my odometer added about 1/4 mile to the loop. Thanks for everyone doing this.

Guess I misunderstood what Pat was referring to by the climb out. When he mentioned the parking lot I took it to mean the last uphill portion before you got to the gravel.

Will have to ask the Parks people to coordinate the Hotline with the closed sign. I saw several riders on the trail today. Would have been one of 'em had I known it was open.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Reroute, deberming

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users