• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 seamonkey

seamonkey

Site Admin

• Administrators
  • 593 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 05:36 PM

Next Saturday is the second fall trail building day at Rock Hollow.  We will meet at the Glencoe parking lot for the little RR and lunch will be served by STLCo Parks.  We will finish the switchback and continue benching up the hill.  There may be snow on the ground and it will be cold, but fun is fun.

From I-64, take Clarkson South about 5 miles to Manchester, go West half a mile to Old State Rd, go South for about 4 miles to Washington Ave, go East a half mile to the parking lot.

From I-44, go North on 109 for about 3 miles to Old State Rd, go right,  then after just a few hundred feet, go East on Washington.

There is a LOT of trail to build, I hope for a good crowd.

--Samit

Sam Mitchell

• Craig likes this

Matt Hayes
GORC Board Member
Greensfelder Steward

#2 seamonkey

seamonkey

Site Admin

• Administrators
  • 593 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 05:36 PM

Maplewood Bicycle is supposed to be on hand and have a couple Surly Krampus 29+ to try out afterwards as well.

Matt Hayes
GORC Board Member
Greensfelder Steward

#3 oldiebutnewbie

oldiebutnewbie

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 06:08 PM

Me plus 1 will be there.

#4 bulldog

bulldog

Geezer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 08:36 AM

Team Depends will be there. So that's one.

Downhills are fun! Uphills keep you young!

#5 95vtr250

95vtr250

Advanced Contributor

• 969 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 03:39 PM

If you like rock work, this one's for you.  That means you, Mitch and Greg!  There is a project with your name on it.

If if the weather is crappy, we can move rocks and work on the harder to build sections.  Great stuff if you are interested in more than just benchcutting.

Bryan Adams, GORC Board Member
Why should I change my name, he's the one that sucks!

#6 mjj29er

mjj29er

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 04:10 PM

Sadly, I will be on a Scout outing herding the future of America.  I will be helping Sam prep things tomorrow and plan to keep working on this throughout the winter.  The terrain looks very promising from here on out!

MashOr

Big N Tasty

#7 Free Riding Fool

Free Riding Fool

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:57 AM

Excited about this trail!  Im on call but I'll be there and bring my bike just in case I need to bolt.....

-Eric

What goes up must BOMB down!

#8 mjj29er

mjj29er

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 07:03 PM

The terrain after the stop sign is very cool.  Trail is blown, mostly grubbed and marked.  This trail will take some thought and skillz to build so experienced builders will be needed to guide any St. Louis County volunteers.  It will NOT be easy trail to build, but will be some of the coolest stuff out there.  Lots of rock, and very steep side slope=big bench cut.  Steep enough that I couldn't ride it, even with the fat bike.

Big N Tasty

#9 Heitz

Heitz

Forum Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 07:44 AM

There are about 8 of us who would work this trail build but with the weather only three of us signed up a week ago and the way the weather has developed this week that participation is shaky. I'm trying to see how carrying rock on slippery snowy terrain in freezing temps is a good idea. You guys thinking about reloading for another day? It is unfortunate that tomorrow is dialing up about the worst work day conditions possible but another day would no doubt get a better turnout.

#10 Samit

Samit

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 09:26 AM

The workday is cancelled.  The weather will be too bad, with some snow and ice, and especially the cold.  The forecast is for 9 degrees tonight, so about 15 at 9am, with some wind, maybe a wind chill of 10 degrees. 

Our hope is for a good weekend soon where we can finish the switchback and made progress up the hill.  Watch this space for news.

• bulldog likes this

#11 Heitz

Heitz

Forum Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 09:56 AM

Thanks for confirming, I'll pass that on to my buds and will keep an eye out for the reschedule.

#12 Free Riding Fool

Free Riding Fool

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:14 AM

Ok thanks I def want to come out for this one but im sure you will keep everyone posted!

-Eric

What goes up must BOMB down!

#13 Samit

Samit

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 08:23 AM

Zero wind chill at Glencoe at 8am this morning.  Hoping for better weather, soon.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Rock Hollow, trail building

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users