1st off: there is a large tree blocking the trail in Phase One, between miles 8 & 9. Coming from the Mound, go down the Powerline cut, cross the creek, and start up the hill. It's across the trail by the first left handed switchback. Big enough to cross both legs of the trail going into/out of the corner, and IS chainsaw worthy.
12/24 conditions (ambient temp < 20*F, with direct sun the first hour):
- Phase one (coming from the Mound - 1st singletrack after crossing the creek). Some firm areas, some sections too thawed to ride. Greg/Mitch's bermed reroute the softest.
- The "bridge reroute" - between #'s 3 & 4 on the GORC map - was fine.
- The Fall 2012 reroute - #2 on the map - was starting to soften up in short 1' ~ 2' segments, especially where it had sun exposure.
- The "Pond reroute" looked too wet to try, and was skipped.
- The Hamburg/Katy trails were starting to soften up in places, but weren't throwing white splatter onto the bike.
My guess is that singletrack at LV prior to 8:30 on Thursday (12/26) would be ok. After that, prepare to bail at any time. Or, do a Hamburg/Katy/Busch Wildlife gravel route.