Photo

Rock Hollow Trail Build Saturday 3/29 - This Long Trail Needs You!

rock hollow glencoe trail building singletrack meramec greenway

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 seamonkey

seamonkey

Site Admin

• Administrators
  • 599 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 10:58 AM

This Saturday March 29 from 9-1pm is the trail building day at Rock Hollow.  We will meet at the Glencoe parking lot by the little railroad and lunch will be served by St. Louis County Parks.  We will finish the switchback and continue benching up the hill.  We are hoping for a large turnout to help move this trail forward! Rock Hollow will add yet another loop of singletrack that's rideable from the Al Foster gravel spine. The Meramec Greenway system is getting better with each trail build and we need your help!

From I-64, take Clarkson South about 5 miles to Manchester, go West half a mile to Old State Rd, go South for about 4 miles to Washington Ave, go East a half mile to the parking lot.

From I-44, go North on 109 for about 3 miles to Old State Rd, go right,  then after just a few hundred feet, go East on Washington.

Register on the GORC site here -> Rock Hollow Sign Up

+++

By building out this trail we are furthering the region's marketability for outdoor enthusiasts. Using the Al Foster as a 'spine' trail which is part of the Meramec Greenway... which is a region of the Great River Greenway hikers and bikers will be able to ride many trails without having to drive to each park. Think Al Foster / Bluff View / Rock Hollow / Paved Rock Hollow (we need a better name for the singletrack for differentiation!) / Sherman Beach and finally Castlewood.

And in the future, if the Great River Greenway applies its budget to the Meramec Greenway we will be able to link to Route 66, the town of Eureka (via the existing in-use trail under the hwy 44 bridge) and West Tyson (Chubb Trail) if the Meramec Route 66 bridge is acquired and improved by the GRG.

The eventual master plan calls for a trail meandering along the bank of the Meramec all the way to the Pacific Palisades boat launch.

Add that up and I think you have yourself a 24hr adventure race / poker run / octa-fecta or something.

So... yeah, that's why GORC really NEEDS your help (labor + cash or product donation).

I'm excited, can you tell?

• johnamus likes this

Matt Hayes
GORC Board Member
Greensfelder Steward

#2 oldiebutnewbie

oldiebutnewbie

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 05:58 PM

i'll be there plus 1

#3 skibum77

skibum77

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 09:22 AM

Idea to differentiate between the paved & unpaved Rock Hollow Trails -

Paved = Rock Hollow

Unpaved = Rock Cliff

Just throwing it out there. 

Oh, and I'm going to try and be there Saturday.

Co-Trail Steward - Bluff View, Rock Hollow

http://mappingthemiles.blogspot.com

#4 dathom

dathom

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 03:18 PM

I will be there Saturday.

I vote for "Zombie Trail" to keep the history / legend going.

Dave

#5 oldiebutnewbie

oldiebutnewbie

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 05:43 PM

i second "zombie trail". as if anyone even asked for name ideas in the first place. 

#6 pilznr

pilznr

• 464 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:28 PM

Charlie Dooley has already chosen Zombie Trail as the working name.

• Lichimus likes this

Greensfelder Cat Herder

#7 lirch

lirch

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 10:07 AM

Charlie Dooley has already chosen Zombie Trail as the working name.

Seriously? Finally he does something right. 

#8 Free Riding Fool

Free Riding Fool

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:25 AM

I'm planning on it but damn it looks like a 60% chance of more rain tonight so if its too muddy do you guys still build?  Guess I will check the forum in the morning....

-Eric

What goes up must BOMB down!

#9 Craig

Craig

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,604 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 03:34 PM

I'm planning on it but damn it looks like a 60% chance of more rain tonight so if its too muddy do you guys still build?  Guess I will check the forum in the morning....

GORC will usually have a Trail Build Day as long as it's safe for the participants to work/stand/get to the area we're building at.  In Rock Hollow's situation, it's got quite a bit of rock, so that will help matters.  Having said all that, it's still a good idea to check the forum in the morning for any updates.  Yes, we want to continue the progress on this trail, but not at the expense of worker safety.

Craig Seibert, GORC Board Member

GORC/St. Charles County Parks Liaison

#10 oldiebutnewbie

oldiebutnewbie

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 06:47 PM

I know the build starts at 9 but if I showed up late (I know where the trail is) would I still be able to help, ie. will there be extra tools to go around? I work until past midnite is why I ask and the drive is a long one for me. 

#11 seamonkey

seamonkey

Site Admin

• Administrators
  • 599 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:11 PM

I'm certain the trail build is on. Showing up late is ok too, there will be someone w tools ready to let you know where to go.

Matt Hayes
GORC Board Member
Greensfelder Steward

#12 rockbreaker

rockbreaker

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:42 PM

I will have my truck and the tool trailer parked near where we are working and STL County Parks normally keeps a volunteer close by. So, No problem for tool availability. You could ride your bike from the parking lot to the trail build. It is quite a walk in. The more volunteers the better.

Glenn
GORC Trail Steward Creve Coeur Park
"St. Louis County's First Park"

#13 Heitz

Heitz

Forum Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 02:02 PM

Wow my buddies and I had no idea how much progress was being made on this trail, not to mention how awesome its shaping up to be. Good progress today. Here's some pics I took.

Attached Thumbnails

• Rock Hollow Trail Build 3-29-14.jpg
  • Rock Hollow Trail Build - view from the top 3-29-14.jpg
  • Rock Hollow Trail Build 3-29-14 (12).JPG

#14 rockbreaker

rockbreaker

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 08:58 AM

Thanks for coming out !! Lot's of new faces out there. The pictures are great. This will give riders an incentive to come out in April and make the trail even longer. A number of people rode after the Trail Build, so waiting on a review of how it rides.

Glenn
GORC Trail Steward Creve Coeur Park
"St. Louis County's First Park"

#15 supradude

supradude

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 06:04 PM

Good to see so many volunteers out as there was decent progress made.  It rides well and will be even better once tires smooth it out.  Bombing down is going to be a blast.  The climb is fun too.  This is going to be one sweet trail to ride.  I'll add a few more pics from the build.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMAG0937.jpg
  • IMAG0936.jpg
  • IMAG0935.jpg
  • IMAG0934.jpg

Pizza is life. Beer helps.

#16 Free Riding Fool

Free Riding Fool

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 09:06 AM

I learned a lot from the build and plan on coming out to more!  Rode it Saturday after and twice on Sunday to get some tires on it.  I guess where you had the flags needs work on the benching and maybe a little more work on the last switchback toward the top too but everything else was great especially on the way down flying off those little humps.   I know lots of rocks were found so hopefully we have plans on making some features next time!!

-Eric

What goes up must BOMB down!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: rock hollow, glencoe, trail building, singletrack, meramec greenway

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users