• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Kimberly_Kennedy

Kimberly_Kennedy

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:25 AM

I've done this trail twice now completely, and it's lovely, but only the Brazil Creek section is well signed. It'd be great to get the rest of it signed with those long brown ones. Horses have destroyed a lot near the Brazil Creek trailhead, and I'm not entirely sure there's hope of repairing it... Is anybody in charge of things out there volunteer—wise?

This is just a really cool, cardio trail that could use some serious volunteering and some more biker traffic. I'd be happy to sign sections of the trail if I had access to the signs.

Also, take extra water on 90+° days. I went through a full 3 liter hydration pack with 7 miles to go on Saturday. I had accidentally stored an extra water bottle in the pack, but an injury or a shattered wheel that far out with that little water isn't anything to scoff at.

#2 TTM

TTM

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 01:41 PM

Thanks for the heads up, signage on Berryman has a couple of flavors - Silver Diamonds and/or OT markers.

The Ozark Trail Association and GORC have been working to improve Berryman over the past couple of years.

The Western section of the loop was rebuilt in the last few years. Western Berryman is clockwise from Berryman Campground to the Northern interconnection with the Courtois section.  

Brazil creek has been a poplular equestrian access point. We will have some crews in the area in mid September to see what can be done to repair the damages.  

Water - Given Berryman's loop format, it is easy to stage water at the road crossings. Eastern Berryman is the long side without access to decent water.  I usually will drop water off at the crossings of Shirley Ridge and Floyd Tower road. West Berryman offers that sweet water from Beecher Spring Artesian Well. 

Please join us in September as we take on the EASTERN BERRYMAN reroutes.  http://ozarktrail.co...hp?OutingId=550

For other Ozark Trail Conditions or to report issues please follow this link. http://ozarktrail.com/conditions.php  

#3 Kimberly_Kennedy

Kimberly_Kennedy

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 07:07 AM

I've been doing the trail counter clockwise, I guess the signage just isn't as apparent on the western loop from that side. The triangles are, but these are confusing as they are distinct from the newer BT long signs. I haven't gotten lost on these trails, but I know a few who have, particularly on the eastern section north of Brazil Creek, which seems to be the best signed area to me. I don't see it as an issue to a rider who does the trail once or twice a year, but an entry rider who may only do the trail once could easily have a confusing adventure here.

We're signed up to help in September at any rate. Thanks for the info!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users