Photo

Why aren't more trails in Missouri built like this?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Kimberly_Kennedy

Kimberly_Kennedy

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 07:55 AM

Had my first outing on the trail yesterday afternoon. If GORC can build this, why haven't we applied it to all of our trails? The flow of this trail is tiers above anything else I've ridden in the region. Greensfelder has some similarities, but that's the only one that comes to mind as having trails geared for bike grades.

Other trails like Lost Valley have a couple sections of good flow, but the rest of the trail is just cardio runs with sporadic technical features.

Is there a reason other trails aren't up to par? Even the frequently praised new sections of Lost Valley (which I do like) don't come close to comparing to anything on Matson Hill. It just seems like GORC built one great thing and is just trying to jerry-rig the rest of the region. It's not that any of the other new work is bad, just that Matson Hill is REALLY REALLY GOOD.

What are we lacking, because I'm sure the majority of mountain bikers in the region would love more bike-focused trail systems like Matson? Is it volunteer organization? Planning time? Land politics? I'm really curious, and I'd love to get involved.

#2 lirch

lirch

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 09:18 AM

it's because we need more people like you to show up to work days to help build that amazing flow. get involved. others may not see the same line of flow you might when laying out proposed trail. it is my understanding that anyone is welcome to pitch in their ideas. I know I've personally made suggestions at a work day that were met with open minds. in several cases I was granted to alter a proposed route after the idea was received, thought about, then ok'd.

as far as the "bike-focused" building mindset, unfortunately, to please land managers and county politics and such, most trails are required to be multi-user friendly. kinda sux, I know, bikers are the ones doing the majority of work while others just reap the benefits. but that's not gonna stop this jerk from building superior singletrack. 

• Stl_Greaser likes this

#3 Kirby

Kirby

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:15 AM

What he said......

You also need to consider that Matson has been designed by Mtn. bikers for Mtn. bikers since day 1.  The other trail systems in the area are likely trails/areas which mtn. bikers have spent many thousands of hours developing relationships with Land Managers to even get access and to develop/refine trails for mtn. bikers to utilize along with our friends the equestrians and hikers.  We don't always get to do what we want or the land simply won't support it.

I echo Lirch's statement about showing up for workdays.  Those of us who have had a hand in building the majority of the trails in the STL area could use other peoples assistance and fresh viewpoint.  We will listen to you, especially if you are standing beside us creating some flowy trail.

BTW--if you think things aren't up to par now, count your blessings that you didn't live here 15 years ago. :)

• Spot, TTM and Stl_Greaser like this
Kirby

#4 JohnMc

JohnMc

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 07:47 AM

BTW--if you think things aren't up to par now, count your blessings that you didn't live here 15 years ago. :)

Amen!

Matson didn't exist, and Lost Valley was complete doubletrack gravel road.  The main appeal to LV was that it was legal to ride at night.

#5 The Krackheads

The Krackheads

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 09:31 AM

Not to mention the death ruts and 25% grades at GF, How about he changes to Grotpeter......Probably the best ST was at Weldon Spring and or Chubb.....A lot of good has happened since then thankfully

Volunteers do not necessarily have the time; they just have the heart. ~Elizabeth Andrew

Bluffview/Rock Hollow Co-Trail Steward

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users