Photo

Seriously? Riding St Charles Trails While They Are CLOSED!

Matson HIll Trial Conditions Trail Damage Announcements Area Trails

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OffRoadAddict

OffRoadAddict

Forum Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 09:52 AM

Please tell me that you where just hiking and "CHECKING" the trail and were not actually RIDING while the trail was CLOSED as the sign at the trail head and the St Charles County Parks Hotline indicated, CLOSED means CLOSED for a reason. We are lucky in the St Charles area to have these trails closed when trail damage will occur if bikes are allowed onto them. Some damage will be irreversible if trails are ridden while too "Soft, Spongy and you are leaving Ruts". Just take a look at some of the St Louis County trails that never close and people make poor decisions to bike, hike, trail run, ride horses etc. Another good option if you can't wait to get out into the woods is to get involved and give back to our GREAT trail system by joining up with fellow enthusiasts for GORC sponsored Trail Days in order to perform maintenance and to fix damage that has occurred on OUR trails. So PLEASE be patient and wait for trails to dry and are Legally open before venturing out onto them.

Life is short so Get Out n Go Ride!

#2 bbeel

bbeel

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 05:39 PM

Amen brother

#3 Craig

Craig

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,615 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 12:41 PM

Looks like they hit ICCP as well.

Craig Seibert, GORC Board Member

GORC/St. Charles County Parks Liaison

#4 OffRoadAddict

OffRoadAddict

Forum Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 07:14 PM

Craig, that is a shame to here after all of the hours that we spent on Saturday at the trail day. I guess that some people think that just because they want to ride, they think that the TRAIL CLOSED sign must be for someone else, not them!
Life is short so Get Out n Go Ride!

#5 Craig

Craig

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,615 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 08:57 PM

When I am working in the woods and encounter a user who is out in less than optimal conditions, I try to be educational, as opposed to confrontational*.  In my experience, the majority of people who are out on a closed or soft trail aren't aware of what they are doing.  Sure, we've all seen those who don't care about the damage their actions are causing, but those interactions are becoming less common. 

My suggestion?  Count to 10,000, take a breath, and think about how you would like to be approached if you suddenly found out that what you were (having fun!) doing was harmful. 

*There may have been "a time of two" when I wasn't THINKING nice things!

Craig Seibert, GORC Board Member

GORC/St. Charles County Parks Liaison

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Matson HIll, Trial Conditions, Trail Damage, Announcements, Area Trails

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users