16 replies to this topic

#1 Stl_Greaser

Stl_Greaser

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 03:13 PM

Everyone be careful out at Lost Valley. A friend at work was riding there this past Sunday 5/03/2015 and actually saw a mountain lion walking down the back fire road at around the 7.5 mile marker.  He said the lion heard him and turned broad side (where he could positively identify it as a lion) and looked at him for a few seconds and walked off into the woods.

It did not show any signs of aggression at all and just simply walked into the woods and disappeared.  This does confirm that there is a big cat most likely living in the Weldon Springs area.

• lirch, TTM and skibum77 like this
Brian Barton
Broemmelsiek Trail Steward

#2 Craig

Craig

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,604 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 06:25 AM

I saw a collie sized cat (dark fur, but in the shadows, so the color may be off) on the Hamburg between the bridge and the drop into the trails last Thursday (4/30) morning about 6:15.  Same response from the animal as above - it looked at me, then trotted off into the woods.  

Semi - related note, a bobcat was hit on DD (by Broem) a couple years back, but it was a sub 20# one.

Craig Seibert, GORC Board Member

GORC/St. Charles County Parks Liaison

#3 rmo55c

rmo55c

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 08:05 AM

I can confirm a big cat (animal) in Lost Valley. I took off on a Wednesday a couple weeks back to ride on what was a perfect afternoon. I was the only rider out there on the trail at the time. On the doubletrack just past the swamp (where the creek and large field are on your left), I spotted a large animal moving off the trail about 50 feet ahead of where I was. I cant confirm the animal as it happened quickly, but based off the size compared to the surrounding underbrush, it was definitely larger than a fox or bobcat. Possibly a large coyote, but it could have been a mountain lion. I know the tails are completely different on those animals, but it was just too hard to see and I could only go off of its size. Like I said, I can't confirm this and it could have been something else. But it was far enough ahead it didn't seem to notice me as it disappeared into the woods.

Ryan
Former Castlewood Trail Steward

#4 lirch

lirch

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 03:02 PM

This would certainly explain the deer that Jerk and I saw on the double track power cut the race finishes on. This was months ago. Snow on the ground. Pretty sure hunting season was over too. Smack dab in the middle of the double track. Not far from the creek. Quite a bloody scene. Recall the back end of the deer had been eaten out. Didn't even consider a mountain lion as the culprit. Explains the scene we saw better than some jackass firing off his rifle at the wrong time of the year. My fellow jerk reminded me while I type this that the carcass had been dragged off the trail in the time it took us to complete our ride back to that point. He also sent me a picture of your author standing over that deer with a little birdie in his hand. 

happy trails! watch out for the kitty!

#5 Somberlain56

Somberlain56

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 08:49 PM

A little off topic, but saw someone post a trail condition update that said the snakes were active and to be careful. Are copperheads and timber rattesnakes common at Lost Valley or just every day black / king snakes?

#6 The Krackheads

The Krackheads

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 05:47 AM

YEs-YEs-YEs-Yes

Volunteers do not necessarily have the time; they just have the heart. ~Elizabeth Andrew

Bluffview/Rock Hollow Co-Trail Steward

#7 lirch

lirch

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 06:08 AM

missouri snakes: http://mdc.mo.gov/di...reptiles/snakes

#8 BrianFalls21

BrianFalls21

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 06:09 AM

I've already seen three Copperheads this year in local parks.  I think the geese protecting their chicks are more of a threat though...

N.F.S. Certified Sawyer & Greensfelder Sawyer

SS Rockhopper "Black Pearl"

Specialized "Blackbeard" Crave

GT "White Lightning" Zaskar (2013-2014)

#9 The Krackheads

The Krackheads

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 08:01 AM

Somewhere in the archives is a video of a rattler at Chubb I believe.  Let your fingers do the searching.

Volunteers do not necessarily have the time; they just have the heart. ~Elizabeth Andrew

#10 Somberlain56

Somberlain56

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 08:35 AM

I'd seen the Chubb video and knew rattlesnakes were relatively common at Tyson and the South side Castlewood. Just didn't know about Lost Valley specifically. Different regions have different populations and species.

#11 ZenkiS14

ZenkiS14

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 08:47 AM

Well, this post makes local trail riding a little scarier lol

Big cats and venomous snakes...sweet!
-Kyle
DJ:DS:4X:BMX:DH:FR:XC

#12 The Krackheads

The Krackheads

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 09:40 AM

don't forget Feral Hogs on the OT and Armadillos,

#13 JKBike

JKBike

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 09:48 AM

I have seen this guy last summer in about the same spot. He immediately ran into the woods when he heard me coming. It was a after work ride so around 6 p.m. 

#14 BrianFalls21

BrianFalls21

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 01:09 PM

Those hogs on the OT scared the pee out of me this winter....its hard even to describe the sound they make.

#15 lisalou

lisalou

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 10:16 PM

This makes me want to go on a night ride at Lost Valley!!! 

• lirch likes this

Lisa Smith

Cuivre River State Park Trail Steward

#16 BrianFalls21

BrianFalls21

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 02:33 PM

I'm heading there tonight for a solo night ride...hopefully the hills don't have eyes.

#17 JMW

JMW

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 08:17 AM

Imagine this guy trying to chase you down. Just don't be the slowest in the group I guess... http://fox2now.com/2...uri-euthanized/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users