37 replies to this topic

#1 caleb_r_miller

caleb_r_miller

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 08:07 PM

This is topic for those dedicated (or willing) to help keep SIUE clear of overgrowth (...that's what you were thinking by the title right?...) through the summer.

With this topic we can let each other know

- when we'll be out weed whacking (the more the merrier!)

- where we've cleared,

- what needs attention

Individuals and teams are encouraged to "adopt" a trail if they like and it's equally fantastic just to go out when you have a little free time and trim whatever needs it (which is most likely anywhere).

(Think of it as a great way for your team to do some service for the local biking community!)

Or how about going out and trimming for an hour and then riding for an hour (whichever order you prefer)?

Any and all are welcome - no amount of trimming is too small!

(This message has the endorsement of the SIUE trail stewards - I'm pretty sure)

• Arcadia GT likes this

#2 sasmith

sasmith

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 07:09 AM

Trail 8 is my baby so I'll commit to keeping it tidy year round. And for the next few Thursday evenings I'll bring my trimmer up to get after what's worst.
  • jamesh75 likes this
Steve

#3 gigi

gigi

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 05:20 PM

pete and i did some lopping on trail 3 friday night.  starting at trailhead by Poag road we worked counter clockwise - got about a 3rd of the way around.  we just concentrated on face slappers.  

gigi

#4 Arcadia GT

Arcadia GT

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 05:30 AM

I used to do this and burned up two industrial trimmers over 4 summers. So let your trimmer cool down after 20-40 minutes use. Use premium fuel and blade attachment if you have one. I'd spend 6-8 hours straight out there just doing trail 1 and two. So teams are great. I think SIUE for teaching me to ride. I now ride Cliff Cave. Nice wide trails no spider webs, HAHA if you're the 1st. one to ride SIUE for the day, spider web face is what you get. I wish I could go back and ride SIUE again, but the drive is further than I can physically do, 60 miles. Take care of SIUE it will train allot of new riders. Thanks Kirby for all you have done for me. I now have only one lung and limited use of left arm. So riding is as much rest as ride. Eric Platter. 

#5 caleb_r_miller

caleb_r_miller

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 12:22 PM

Bike Surgeon went out this morning and cleared most of 4 from the MCT bike trail and almost made it to the gravel road.

In addition they also cleared from Poag road up 3 for a bit.

#6 jamesh75

jamesh75

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 02:16 PM

Awesome!  Thank you Bike Surgeon.

#7 falasi4

falasi4

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 03:04 PM

Great news! 

#8 caleb_r_miller

caleb_r_miller

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 10:42 AM

Bike Surgeon (via Mr. Gibbs) have stepped up to adopt 2/3/4!

#9 sasmith

sasmith

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 02:29 PM

I got out yesterday and whacked the worst section of 3.

From Cougar Village, CCW, starting at the recent re-route and heading toward Trail 4. Basically knocked it down so you can see were you are going but a second pass will go a long way toward keeping it from popping right back. I ran out of gas so there is a stretch on alternating sides that didn't get the full treatment.

Hitting it again next Thursday if not before.

Steve

#10 caleb_r_miller

caleb_r_miller

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 10:37 AM

Trail 3 - Sunday - I thought it would be good to continue on 3 so I started at Poag Rd. going clockwise (i.e. the east, lower part of the loop).

I maybe made it halfway or so, however I have been just trying to make my way through the whole trail rather than just the worst sections - is that alright?

#11 caleb_r_miller

caleb_r_miller

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 10:14 AM

http://gorctrails.co...?reset=1&id=504

#12 sasmith

sasmith

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 08:21 PM

Continued on 3 with what I started last week. Got quite a bit done but is it ever slow going! Rode before I whacked. The canopy had collapsed at one spot on 2 but I was able to clear it by hand. Although the section of 4 from the maintenance road to 3 is pretty rough we should focus on the whole loop of 2 once we've finished 3. It's going under pretty quickly. Of course you can find something to do everywhere.

Steve

#13 jamesh75

jamesh75

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 05:24 PM

I cant make it Saturday afternoon due to a graduation party and a wedding. Happy weed wacking. Just wanted to post that there are two trees down on the new section of Trail 8. One about a foot in diameter and the other about two feet. And thanks to those that have already cleared some of the trails. They were in great shape this morning.

#14 gigi

gigi

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 08:09 AM

pete and i got half way on trail 6 last week.  then we got overcome by pollen and had to get out before we coughed our heads off!  we'll try and get back out there as time permits.   I wont be able to make it on 5/30 as we are having a fundraiser for my nephew that is going through chemo.  But thanks in advance to all who get out there and help! 

gigi

#15 caleb_r_miller

caleb_r_miller

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 10:46 AM

6 looked good gigi - thanks!

I agree with you Steve

#16 caleb_r_miller

caleb_r_miller

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 06:00 AM

I continued from Poag road on the west part of 3 last night - if it's not raining tonight I'll continue working towards where Steve was at (from Poag towards 4 on the west).

#17 caleb_r_miller

caleb_r_miller

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 09:25 AM

got a little further on 3 - I need to pick up the pace

#18 caleb_r_miller

caleb_r_miller

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 10:36 PM

just an update after the fantastic work day on Sat.

I walked a good bit of the trails that we worked on (loop of 1,3,4,7,2) :

- grassy part of connector between 1 and 3 across cross country path very high - actually hard to see trail in the grass

- 3 - there's a small section south of cougar village on the west side of 3 that's like pushing though a hedge - perhaps some growth as fallen?

- 4 is in pretty decent shape

- substantial part of west side of 2 still needs to be trimmed, starting maybe 370 feet from the cross country trail,

- half of 7 done starting from south trail head - really well done - other have is very heavy

I'll continue to push through on 3 - will probably take at least a couple trips

#19 caleb_r_miller

caleb_r_miller

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 01:57 PM

last night tried to spend a couple hours knocking down the worst stuff left on 3 (from where Steve left off with the side/side stuff going north).

Got a good start but didn't finish.

#20 caleb_r_miller

caleb_r_miller

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 05:13 AM

Cyclery asked if they could adopt 5 - would that be alright?

Also I'm still focused on 3

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: SIUE, trimming, volunteer, maintenance, weed whacking

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users