Photo

Building new trail at Lewis & Clark(No Bikes)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mjj29er

mjj29er

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 05:04 PM

Just wanted to put this out there.  I'm working with a scout on his Eagle project on the Lewis & Clark hiking(only) trail in Weldon Spring across from Lost Valley. We are re-routing the rutted and very rooty section from the bluff up to the ridge near the end of the loop when traveling clockwise. This is where the water bars installed 20 years ago are up at your knees and 5 feet away from the existing trail.

While this trail CAN NOT be ridden, many of you hike and trail run. I hope to start something big here that inspires other scouts and possibly running and/or hiking groups to take back this awesome trail from years of over use.

I will post info from the scout on the details but we will work Friday, Saturday and Sunday weather permitting. He will lead the group and has acquired the necessary tools.

Here is an image of a section we built today.

MashOr

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC01733.JPG

Big N Tasty

#2 mjj29er

mjj29er

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 06:09 PM

Here is the info provided by the scout:

I am working on my Eagle Project, which is trail building on the Lewis and Clark Trail . There is a quarter mile reroute that I am doing because of the extensive erosion that took place on the main trail. The workdays will take place on May 29, May 30 and May 31 (Friday, Saturday, Sunday), from 9 to 1 each day, at the trailhead. Lunch will be provided. Please RSVP (314-302-7611) before showing up, we want to make sure that we have enough tools. Bring water, gloves and wear boots. Any and all help is greatly appreciated! 

Trailhead address: Weldon Spring Conservation Area, 6990 S Missouri 94, St Charles, MO 63304

Big N Tasty

#3 mjj29er

mjj29er

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 10:16 PM

We are planning to work unless it is storming. Please arrive by 9am so we can make sure we head in with enough tools. If you are going to come but come late give me a ring.  

There will be signs to guide you out to the work site which is about a one mile hike. Basically, you head out on the loop going counter clockwise staying on the main trail.

314-306-4459

Mitch

Big N Tasty

#4 mjj29er

mjj29er

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 07:10 AM

We're a go!

Big N Tasty

#5 mjj29er

mjj29er

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 01:56 PM

We made awesome progress today and got through the tough, rocky section. Same time, same place tomorrow and Sunday.  Lunch provided.

Big N Tasty

#6 mjj29er

mjj29er

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 06:51 AM

We are going to call off today.  Pretty wet hike out to the work site and more rain on the way for this morning.

Looks like great weather for tomorrow though.  Hoping canceling today will encourage a larger turnout tomorrow!

MashOr

Big N Tasty

#7 mjj29er

mjj29er

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 01:17 PM

Went out and grubbed everything this morning in the rain. I now completely understand why this trail is in the shape it is.  9 other cars in the lot at 11:30 and it had been raining steadily for 3 hours not to mention the rain from yesterday and last night.

9am start tomorrow morning and we're hoping to come close to finishing/opening the new trail.

Big N Tasty

#8 mjj29er

mjj29er

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 07:33 PM

Amazing day of trail building! We had a good showing and the scouts have acquired skillz. Didn't expect to but completed the trail to the far end and defined the route at the other end so people could start using it.

We hope to head out Tuesday evening to put the finishing touches on it. Probably 4:30 or 5pm.

• TTM likes this
Big N Tasty

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users