3 replies to this topic

#1 muleskinner

muleskinner

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 08:46 AM

In general, for a gravel grinder (a true gravel road ride, not katy type gravel) what is the best set up?    Would you want your shocks firmer?   rebound?  tire pressure, less? more?    I seem to be often adjusting and not getting it quite right.     A hardtail may be the way to go?  but for now, what I am riding is FS.       

#2 lirch

lirch

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 06:14 PM

Kona Rove for that steel is real feel, tire clearance and disc brakes; Salsa Cowbell Bars for shorter bar reach, multiple hand positions and flare; compact crank and wide range cassette; 42c tires at the low end of their pressure rating on 23mm rims to help get the whole tread pattern on the ground

#3 BrianFalls21

BrianFalls21

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 08:14 PM

I guess even gravel in and of itself has a broad scope of possible conditions so that's a tough question.  When I ride gravel I just ride my normal hard tail with my normal set-up.  If I were going to change anything, I'd put lightweight tires on and run a relatively high pressure.  I might change to a road saddle too I guess, but that sounds like a lot of work...

I recently did a moderately long gravel grind on my old Rockhopper SS in northeast Kansas while I was visiting my parents.  No computer, minimal tools, no plan, no knowledge of the roads or what each corner had around it.  I saw a lot of old barns, fat cows, and empty beer cans.  It was a pretty damn fun bike ride.  

If you haven't already, check out some of the articles on the DK200 from this year.  It was more of a tough mudder than gravel grind...gravel is a really cool niche in the sport and I hope you find your set-up.  But honestly, I think the simpler your set-up and the closer you go to your normal set-up, the happier you'll be.  

N.F.S. Certified Sawyer & Greensfelder Sawyer

SS Rockhopper "Black Pearl"

Specialized "Blackbeard" Crave

GT "White Lightning" Zaskar (2013-2014)

#4 Brett

Brett

Forum Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 14 June 2015 - 01:45 PM

Lock out the rear. Run 20psi more in tires. And ride