6 replies to this topic

#1 skibum77

skibum77

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 08:21 AM

While everyone is worried about what the horses are going to do to this trail, in my opinion, we mountain bikers have done a pretty good job tearing up a few parts of this trail this spring/summer.  After riding it yesterday for the first time in several weeks, there are ruts forming in parts of this trail where I've never seen ruts or standing water before.  The running condition update this year seems to be, "The first half mile is greasy/wet, but after that it's good."  The problem is, right now there's no way to get to the last two miles without going through the first half mile, and a half mile is a long way to go and a lot of trail to potentially tear up in suboptimal conditions.  Most of Zombie seems to dry out more quickly than Bluffview - please remember there are going to be days when Zombie is good and Bluffview isn't, and ride accordingly.

• seamonkey, 95vtr250 and lirch like this

Co-Trail Steward - Bluff View, Rock Hollow

http://mappingthemiles.blogspot.com

#2 95vtr250

95vtr250

Advanced Contributor

• 970 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 10:25 AM

Well said Dave!  Thanks!

Bryan Adams, GORC Board Member
Why should I change my name, he's the one that sucks!

#3 Maven

Maven

Forum Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 02:50 PM

Will the future connector between these trails bypass the lower slower to dry section of Bluff View?  If so maybe a sooner  than later situation exists.  I do not mean this to be critical as I have no idea of the overall plan.  Just brainstorming for a possible solution.  I love these trails!

#4 bradb

bradb

Forum Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 11:47 AM

Out of curiousity, once the link is built does that mean that horses will have access to zombie as well? I was under the impression that zombie would be biker and hikers only.

If so, maybe they shouldnt be linked at all, just my opinion though.

#5 skibum77

skibum77

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 12:49 PM

To answer Bradb's question, yes, horses will have access to Zombie, and that's why the connection is being built - horses will still not be allowed on the Al Foster trail.  To my understanding, GORC will not be building the connector, DNR will, and I think it's going to be gravel or chat rather than dirt, so that part should hold up to horse traffic fairly well. 

As far as Maven's question, I'm not exactly sure where the connector will cut off of Bluffview, but I think it's going to be pretty close to the current entrance, maybe in the neighborhood of that first hard left as you head up the trail.  I'm pretty sure it's not going to eliminate all of the areas that have been perpetually wet this year.  It will connect to Zombie at the first switchback.

Co-Trail Steward - Bluff View, Rock Hollow

http://mappingthemiles.blogspot.com

#6 Maven

Maven

Forum Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 02:29 PM

Thanks for answers Dave.  I hope DNR will take those things in consideration,  maybe a good opportunity to have a bypass of this troubling section.  Does GORC have any input?  With the fantastic results of quick recovering trails and reroutes I would hope so.

#7 Samit

Samit

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 02:33 PM

The piece of property that is now Bluffview Park has a bluff at the south line which makes the access to DNR property narrow and difficult.  When you come down from the bluff view and go through the rocky part next to the bluff, the North/South property line is very close and has been contested.  We will go a few yards past that point and switchback to the crossing to stay away from the Al Foster.  The City of Wildwood is taking responsibility for the DNR section, because DNR has no money nor time to design.  We have not heard a timeline for that section.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users