• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 seamonkey

seamonkey

Site Admin

• Administrators
  • 604 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 01:28 PM

If you notice any flagging tape near the DeClue trail that runs close to the GF property line just past 6 Flags - the 'newer' cedar/rocky area - that is McBride and Sons surveyors getting their ducks in a row for a 527 home subdivision and new Rockwood elementary school on a 293 acre parcel that abuts great stretches of Greensfelder.

The backcountry feel and view will probably be changing eventually but they do promise to save "52.5%" of the trees on the parcel. Maybe they will create a tree buffer instead of having backyards backup to the park boundary?

Welcome to the Arbors of Rockwood - Eureka Mtg

Business Journal - Eureka Approves

Arbors of Rockwood

"Clearing of land is to begin this winter and sales are estimated to begin in the summer of 2016. We are in the preliminary stages of determining which models from each series will be featured in the community."

Matt Hayes
GORC Board Member
Greensfelder Steward

#2 The Krackheads

The Krackheads

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 08:04 AM

Noticed additional flagging and survey stakes between Declue and the north property line of 6 Flags, Anyone know what McBride and Sons has in store for this parcel?

Volunteers do not necessarily have the time; they just have the heart. ~Elizabeth Andrew

Bluffview/Rock Hollow Co-Trail Steward

#3 Thrasher

Thrasher

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 11:09 AM

Not that familiar with Eureka's zoning practices, but unless they hold McBride's (and any developer) feet to the fire about grading, tree clearing, preservation, the developer will always take the cheapest route.  They don't care about trees or green space, because those are money-losers.

If McBride "plans to retain 50 percent of the property as tree preservation" it's only because 

1. Eureka/STL County is forcing them to

2. 50% of the land is undevelopable, at least in a financially viable sense.

The land I saw up near Declue looks pretty flat, so it would be likely that's low-hanging fruit, but hopefully, they'll at least put bigger homes on bigger (premium) lots up there.  If you ask the City of Eureka, they should likely be able to provide you with the plat maps.

Bummer, but that is private land and not much anyone can do to stop the development unless we have a sugar daddy to snatch up the land like that "one guy" in Bentonville ;-)

#4 skibum77

skibum77

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 01:11 PM

After doing a little bit of searching, I found the proposed street layout of the subdivision, then I went and overlaid it with some imagery and one of my GPS tracks from riding at Greensfelder.  My GPS is notorious for being off, especially in the woods, so my track may not be exactly where Declue runs, but it's in the general area.  As you can see, there's only two streets that are going to get close to the park, and it appears that McBride may in fact leave most of the woods intact. It does look like someone is planning on some connections to Declue from the subdivision, whether that's good or bad, I'm not sure, though I'd love it if I were to buy a house there.  At this point, I'd say there's not a lot to worry about, IMO.  From what I can see, I don't think the whole place is going to get clear cut, probably just the one spot at the extreme SE part of Declue.

Attached Thumbnails

• eureka.jpg

Co-Trail Steward - Bluff View, Rock Hollow

http://mappingthemiles.blogspot.com

#5 Thrasher

Thrasher

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 03:01 PM

Very nice work, SkiBum.  Looks like the "proposed dog park" will be the closest encroachment, so I'd agree - not a big deal.

It does appear they are leaving a lot of the common ground backing up to the park - could be a variety of reasons, but terrain and topography (lots of rock to chip thru for foundations) could be another factor, due to additional excavation expenses.

And "future trail" on the private land sounds a lot like some pie-in-the-sky stuff that will never come to fruition, is my guess.  Think "Ballpark Village residences" ;-)

#6 95vtr250

95vtr250

Advanced Contributor

• 975 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 03:16 PM

Awesome overlay, thanks Dave!

Bryan Adams, GORC Board Member
Why should I change my name, he's the one that sucks!

#7 seamonkey

seamonkey

Site Admin

• Administrators
  • 604 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 03:48 PM

I hope it turns out to be accurate- that would be the best case scenario for retaining the woodsy feel.

Now, about those casual dog walkers and after school riff raff - haha - that will be a new user group at gf...
  • Thrasher likes this

Matt Hayes
GORC Board Member
Greensfelder Steward

#8 The Krackheads

The Krackheads

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 01:25 PM

heres the latest with the clear cutting SE of Declue. 15 feet from the trail.

Volunteers do not necessarily have the time; they just have the heart. ~Elizabeth Andrew

#9 seamonkey

seamonkey

Site Admin

• Administrators
  • 604 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 02:47 PM

who needs trees when there's vinyl siding.

Matt Hayes
GORC Board Member
Greensfelder Steward

#10 BrianFalls21

BrianFalls21

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 03:08 PM

Looks about exactly like 52.5% of the trees were saved. Money talks and clear cutting is much cheaper than selective cutting. Oh well, it's just one boundary at least and most of GF will remain surrounded by public property.
  • BrianFalls21 likes this

N.F.S. Certified Sawyer & Greensfelder Sawyer

SS Rockhopper "Black Pearl"

Specialized "Blackbeard" Crave

GT "White Lightning" Zaskar (2013-2014)

#11 Glen_PxC

Glen_PxC

Forum Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 08:29 PM

Just found out about this while riding today, so much for seclusion.... That trail is gonna be crowded when those houses are built.

Saw some blue flags on another part of declue too, maybe a mile from the end. Anyone know what that's about?

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2727.JPG

Needs more drop.

#12 The Krackheads

The Krackheads

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 09:40 AM

The lastest, The drop off after the construction fence is now less than 8'.....

#13 rockhound

rockhound

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 04:15 PM

Bump.  Anyone know when the school is to be built?

You're all on double secret probation!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: population, trees, homes, eureka, greensfelder, change is a constant

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users