7 replies to this topic

#1 stlmtbiker

stlmtbiker

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 08:20 AM

I just got a 2010 Specialized Rockhopper Expert 29er. I upgraded the fork to a Rock Shox Reba SL Dual Air Fork. This is my first air fork and want to make sure I'm maintaining it correctly. Sunset Cyclery, where I got the bike said, "Wipe off the visible dirt from the fork, then take a toothbrush and scrub the dirt of the seals. Once or twice a year, bring it in for the seals to be changed out." So it that all I need to do?

Thanks

#2 mikeD

mikeD

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 11:16 AM

I use an old sock to clean stanchions at wiper area(that's what you are cleaning not seals) pulling it on opposit ends and also use stans oil then push down on bars to work a light film of oil into wipers ,air forks have come a long way as far as longevity is concerned.....oops meant to say phil wood tenacious oil not stans
Posted ImageDESMO

#3 PIMP-DADDY

PIMP-DADDY

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 01:17 PM

For the seal change interval. Once/year should be more than enough. I have a Reba (bought in 2007) that has never had new seals and does not leak at all. This is on my geared bike, which does not see heavy use, but I'd still say once/year is almost overkill given most peeps ride quantity. Of course, lots of mud/water/dust would bring you closer to that once/year. As always..YMMV!![;)]
BigBad JohnnyD
http://www.iphonewal...llac-emblem.png
The Original Trail-Pimp!

#4 Craig

Craig

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,613 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 06:24 PM

I'm with the Pimp on the seal change interval. I'll change the oil once or twice a year, depending on what kind of use the fork sees. If the oil comes out clean (light honey colored), refill it after a cleanup and you're good to go. If the oil comes out chocolate brown in color, it's time for some new seals. (I've had to replace the seals ONCE in the past three years on the Duke SL I've been using.) For RockShox's suggested maintenance schedule, click http://www.sram.com/...ID=1&subcatID=8, select Reba from the drop down menu, then click on the Suspension Fork User Manual link. The table you're looking for is on page 5.

Craig Seibert, GORC Board Member

GORC/St. Charles County Parks Liaison

#5 stinkbait

stinkbait

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 06:09 AM

replace the wipers and oil at least once a season. suspension manufacturers are tightening up on service intervals. i know that no one heeds it, but it should be done. when your wipers wear crap gets in your fork oil and causes wear. just because you cant see it, doesnt mean it's not there...
here is the info for fox http://www.foxracing...e_intervals.htm

the same goes for disc brake fluid. no one ever replaces it in their cars, either... but it needs to be done once a year for optimum performance/service life.

additionally, NEVER listen to the pimp on service. retro curmudgeons never maintain their crap. they ride it into the ground and complain about it...[:D][:D][:D][:D]
"Strong, light, cheap. pick two" - KB

#6 PIMP-DADDY

PIMP-DADDY

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 09:59 PM

Yeah. well, there's that, and the fact that I'm rigid nearly 100% of the time...just ask your xxxx StinkB is a expert mechanic, I'm just an idiot that likes to ride bikes alot. Who are you gonna believe? Ok ok...[:X]
BigBad JohnnyD
http://www.iphonewal...llac-emblem.png
The Original Trail-Pimp!

#7 Samit

Samit

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 10:48 AM

My experience says that while wet mud may slowly wear the wiper down, the real damage is done by mud that is allowed to dry on the stanchions. The wet mud has no structure, and only provides abrasion, where the dried stuff can make the seal ride over it, starting some real trouble.

#8 stlmtbiker

stlmtbiker

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 07:05 AM

Thanks for all the ways to keep it clean, I'll use them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users