4 replies to this topic

#1 KevinG

KevinG

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 07:57 PM

St. Louis County Parks is holding an Open House on January 13,  5:30 to 8:30 PM.

It will be held at Oakville High School, 5557 Milburn Road. ( This is not the Middle School on Telegraph behind the park )

Plans are to connect Telegraph Rd to the top of the bluff and also  work down the hill to connect with the lower trail via a paved trail.

The Parks Department is making efforts to keep the natural surface trails and the new paved trails as separated as possible with a minimal number of trail crossings.

They have been very accommodating to our input on the design. 

This is going to allow for a trail that can be ridden from the lower lot up to Spring Valley then cross the creek and entrance road to an overlook at the top of the bluff.

I believe there also will be a new parking area up top on the bluff side!

Come stop by and find out more details on the 13th!

Attached File  Cliff Cave 1 13 16 Open House Invitation (1).pdf   397.66KB   95 downloads

GORC Trail Steward- Cliff Cave Park
You don't quit playing because you get old .... You get old because you quit playing

#2 The Krackheads

The Krackheads

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 03:39 PM

Would one of our skilled map people overlay the dirt trails to the proposed paved trail?   The proposed trail where it parallels Cliff Cave Road starting up the hill, That section is steep and nasty, I believe grades of 20% or more if I heard someone correctly.   How can you build a 6-8' wide trail in that area that isn't continuously being washed out with debris and other uphill items?

Volunteers do not necessarily have the time; they just have the heart. ~Elizabeth Andrew

Bluffview/Rock Hollow Co-Trail Steward

#3 mscott003

mscott003

Forum Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 12:08 PM

This looks like it goes right through the MTB trail.  Is that the case or am I looking at it wrong?

#4 KevinG

KevinG

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 05:44 PM

As far as the section along the road goes, it looks like it will involve quite a bit of engineering.

I believe there are plans to build up the down slope side with retaining walls in spots.

The trail will start at the first parking lot and begin climbing, it will turn toward the cave entrance, continuing its climb.

There will be a bridge across the outflow creek  from the cave.

It then will rap around and cross over the existing rocky climb and continue up the creek valley.

There will be a bridge that will cross the creek valley toward the road, then cross the road and continue to an overlook at the bluff.

On the Spring Valley, there will be several trail crossings.

They should be minimal and appear to work for both trails.

Come to the Open House and find out more on the 13th !

GORC Trail Steward- Cliff Cave Park
You don't quit playing because you get old .... You get old because you quit playing

#5 mscott003

mscott003

Forum Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 09:42 PM

Thanks Kevin.  I think I might try to come by. 

Here is a very poor and quick layover of the new trail on a map i rode. 

Again I did it quick and its ugly....

That was a really old map.  Here is the current GORC Map overlayed..  still sloppy

Attached Thumbnails

• CC New Trail mix.png
  • CC New Trail Mix2.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users