3 replies to this topic

#1 bulldog

bulldog

Geezer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,615 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 03:27 PM

A very nice ride today! Flint Quarry is still weeping water on the off camber section and the ditch crossing. A culvert there would do wonders. The rest of the trail was dry. LC and I went to the chubb shelter from the picnic table. The two wet sections are drying slowly, but I still walked around. We did a reverse loop back to the lot, then I went back up FQ then the steps to the tracks. Some water there still but better. LC you SS animal! You did great today.
Downhills are fun! Uphills keep you young!

#2 Samit

Samit

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 03:03 PM

Culvert pipes are a maintenance problem, requiring clearing regularly, especially in the fall. Small pipes are especially troublesome, though large ones can be clogged with logs and leaves, and then topped and eroded out like the Tyson Creek crossing on the Chubb that blew out in the rains from Hurricane Ike. Culverts on trails are more trouble than solution. The creek crossing on Flint Quarry was armored about five years ago and has worked well, though it needs raking now to get down to the rock. The same is true of the up side of the crossing, though it could use some work. The down side of the crossing did not weep at first, but it sure does now. It desperately needs armoring.

#3 bulldog

bulldog

Geezer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,615 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 12:12 AM

Hey Sam; How about a boyscout bridge?[:D]
Downhills are fun! Uphills keep you young!

#4 Samit

Samit

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 09:37 AM

A bridge made out of boy scouts, while fun, would have to be rebuilt too often. We should always be looking for perminate answers. It occurred to me in a nightmare that the seep is caused by the crossing holding water, which then percolates quietly under rock to where it exits on the trail. If we cleaned out the leaves clogging the pool above the crossing, maybe the weep would stop. Cause and effect might be hard to prove.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users