20 replies to this topic

#1 trailrider

trailrider

Forum Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 03:43 PM

What is the fastest drying single track trail? Would it be Council Bluff? Got some people in town for the holidays and want to take them riding.

Thanks,

Mike

• Craig likes this

#2 BrianFalls21

BrianFalls21

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 04:03 PM

Council Bluff used to be considered an all year, all weather trail. However the last couple years of extreme weather (namely floods) has brought that status into question. Lack of major maintanence has allowed CB to suffer some erosion and lack of tires hasn't kept the tread beat in very well. The dedicated few have given it the love it needs to keep it as a destination ride during decent weather, but Probably not at the moment.

I'd recommend Middle Fork, but for the same reasons, it's not a rock solid bet either. Berryman has received much more major maintanence and rerouting which will make it more of a sustainable trail, but all the disturbances in soil/tread means it gets sloppy in these conditions as well.

So, cross off the classic Mark Twain National Forest trails at least for the next couple of days.

The guys down at Forest City in St James have put tons of time and work into those trails to be very sustainable. There is a Facebook page that is regularly updated with Forest City conditions. That trail may be OK by say, Wednesday.

Here in STL common consensus is that Lost Valley is a quick drying single track AND has great bail out options when you get there all jonsing for a ride, only to find out the single track is wet.

Portions of Grensfellder are near weather proof, but if you don't know the trail system well you'll find yourself ankle deep in muck just on the other side of a ridge from said bomb proof trail. Upper portions of Castlewood dry fast and the Fllint Quarry side of Chubb is pretty hardy as well.

The above is about 7 years of data as collected by weekly and sometimes daily hard evidence, hopefully it helps!
  • bulldog, lirch and TTM like this

N.F.S. Certified Sawyer & Greensfelder Sawyer

SS Rockhopper "Black Pearl"

Specialized "Blackbeard" Crave

GT "White Lightning" Zaskar (2013-2014)

#3 trailrider

trailrider

Forum Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 05:33 PM

Thanks for your thoughtful reply. It should help others to find dry trails.

#4 Honch

Honch

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 05:45 PM

Rode Berryman on Christas Eve and it was fantastic with the exception of the newest, 1 mile reroute on the east side, right before the campground.  Middlefrok from DD/32 to Barton Fen is bullet proof and is good to go unless we get a torrential downpour.  

• lirch and TTM like this

#5 Billy10

Billy10

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 11:49 AM

Just wanted to chime in a thanks for starting this thread and the replies!  Due to illness in family, a vacation has been scrapped, but figured with the dry (and predicted windy) weather you are supposed to have down there (I'm farther north), hoping to do a Th-F trip and was debating on what was likely the best, if ridable at all.  

#6 BrianFalls21

BrianFalls21

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 02:43 PM

I may have been too conservative in my post, looks like some positive reports coming in from BT and MF! I just hate for people to make a big effort of travel and get bummed by muddy, freeze/thaw conditions. I'm more optimistic for tomorrow until the next rain than I was 48 hours ago.

#7 Craig

Craig

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,604 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 11:26 PM

What is the fastest drying single track trail? Would it be Council Bluff? Got some people in town for the holidays and want to take them riding.

Thanks,

Mike

I will echo what Brian has mentioned above this post.  That includes not being so "doom and gloom" as we may have thought.  Please reference the forecast of "lot's of wind" Thursday; https://weather.com/...l/USMO0717:1:US.

Any info you can pass along as to the riding preferences of your guests?

"Backcountry" type trails such as CB, MF, BT, or other parts of the Ozark Trail  will be rockier (sp?), and more resistant to recent rains/freeze/thaw conditions.

Locally, the South facing part of Castlewood - i.e. NOT Lone Wolf OR Roller Coaster - tends to dry the quickest. 

The South facing sections of Chubb would be a close 2nd, but WILL have water moving across the trail tread at times.

Hey, it's that time of year where you may need to walk a bit to keep from hurting the trail.  A minor issue.

If this doesn't help, don't hesitate to post "Hey, I can't find the info I'm after!" on the GORC Forum; http://forum.gorctrails.com/.

Craig Seibert, GORC Board Member

GORC/St. Charles County Parks Liaison

#8 trailrider

trailrider

Forum Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 10:09 AM

From reading the trail description of Greensfelder it seems the upper section of Dogwood going counter clockwise dries fast. Can someone describe other rocky sections that dry well. Better yet if someone could highlight the pdf map and attach it that would be great.

Thanks

Mike

#9 BrianFalls21

BrianFalls21

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 09:03 PM

At Greensfelder you have a couple rocky sections that are usually good to go in most conditions and a couple bad spots that stay muddy for days and even weeks during wet weather and freeze/thaw.  Unfortunately, in some cases, the good stuff is literally sandwiched by the bad stuff.  Here's an outline:

Safe-ish places that usually dry fast: 

The section of Dogwood you mentioned.

Clementine (the reroute of Declue just after you cross over the Scenic Loop road, going south).  

Fossil Ridge 

Buelah Ridge (the old section of Buelah that's been incorporated into the new Buelah).  

The top 2/3rds of Declue between the Visitor's Center and the Eagle Valley Gravel

The gravel road down to the roundhouse

Other various sections of gravel roads

Bad places that stay muddy a long time: 

The bottom 1/3rd of Declue between the Visitor's Center and the Eagle Valley Gravel

Basically, the whole section of Declue between the Eagle Valley Gravel and the crossing of Scenic Loop Road going Clockwise

Declue all around the Monkey Heads

Dogwood near the "s" curves.  

The connector between Eagle Valley Gravel and NGR single track.  

Also, during Freeze/Thaw and after snow/ice Eagle Valley Gravel is pretty mushy for a long time due to not much sun or wind exposure.  

My only advice is that trying to ride at Greensfelder during wet weather and freeze/thaw usually ends in about 200 yard stretches of mountain biking surrounded by long intervals of hike-a-bike and bushwhacking.  It actually makes road biking or riding a mountain bike on gravel roads appealing.  

But, for what it's worth, there ya go.  

#10 bcriv321

bcriv321

Forum Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 08:23 AM

Forest City is okay! Just finished building a new section yesterday. Needs tires; lots and lots of tires!

~ Ben Rivers

#11 LHATCH

LHATCH

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 07:56 AM

Coming out here from the west I find this interesting. I'm from Colorado and I've biked in Utah, Idaho and Arizona as well. I have family in northern California and Washington. I know that Oregon has great biking too. This is the only place I have ever been where people worry about rain and mud. In many of the places I have mentioned it's either mostly wet or a bout 50/50 wet/dry conditions. I agree that it's better dry but people around here seem to get upset about tire ruts in the trail from biking when its wet. For me that was always just part of the experience.

#12 Kirby

Kirby

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:58 PM

Easy: those places have different soil types that dry much more rapidly and erode differently. Our soils when broken away from the substrate tend to blow/flow away and riding in wet conditions promotes that process of erosion. We also promote leave no trace and tire ruts definitely don't abide by that policy.

Also, just cause people don't worry about it doesn't make it a non issue. IMBAs rules of the trails has it as their number two rule....

https://www.imba.com/about/rules-trail

And they evolved from CO and are international as the name implies.
  • sniker, Craig, KevinG and 2 others like this
Kirby

#13 B-unit

B-unit

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 01:41 PM

"This is the only place I have ever been where people worry about rain and mud"

Well, if you google "trail closure hotline" or "trail conditions wet closure" you'll get results from coast to coast. This most certainly is not the only place where people worry about rain and mud.
  • seamonkey, sniker, Craig and 5 others like this

#14 CoffeeBananaBike

CoffeeBananaBike

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 11:53 AM

I have found that the fastest drying trail is the Banana Trail at Greensfelder. However, in springtime it gets soaked with coffee by the CoffeeHoo Orginazation. Why? Because they want riders to be swept away by a coffee river. HOO HOO!

#15 seamonkey

seamonkey

Site Admin

• Administrators
  • 599 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 01:53 PM

You are 2 funnie. I say switch it out to tea or water and make awesome fun... never mind.

Are u a google bot hijacked by some university of Phoenix kids?
  • MTBKona22 likes this

Matt Hayes
GORC Board Member
Greensfelder Steward

#16 sniker

sniker

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 01:59 PM

I keep wondering the same thing! But their comments are too funny to be a bot, right??

GORC Secretary

#17 seamonkey

seamonkey

Site Admin

• Administrators
  • 599 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 02:25 PM

Yes, so so funny! Like n korea hacker funny, right?

Hoping the forum doesn't blow up now. I take it all back!
  • sniker likes this

Matt Hayes
GORC Board Member
Greensfelder Steward

#18 CoffeeBananaBike

CoffeeBananaBike

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 09:30 AM

I am not a bot, but I am a banana from East Korea State U.

#19 MTBKona22

MTBKona22

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 10:39 AM

I am more shocked by, what I believe to be, false reports of coffee and bananas strewn about Greensfelder and Chubb.  I have spent many miles looking for these treasures to no avail.

• maholt32 likes this

#20 CoffeeBananaBike

CoffeeBananaBike

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 02:46 PM

When did you go? The Banana Police might have taken care of it by then. I called them when I almost suffocated in bananas. Their number is 911-BANANA. I didn't intend for them to haul away those priceless treasures. I think I might know what happened though. Several cyclists were doing the banana dance in a circle and yelling BANANA! COFEE! WA-HOO! when I left. Maybe that was "disturbing the peace" or something........

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users