#1 seamonkey

seamonkey

Site Admin

• Administrators
  • 596 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 04:16 PM

Date: March 11, 2017 - 9am - 1pm

RSVP Now

What: We will continue building the trail on the east side of the Paved Rock Hollow trail creating a loop back to the start. The six switchbacks are difficult to build and have to be right.  The descent to the pavement is is rocky and difficult to build in the first half to the switchback, and easier after the switchback.  We will divide up into two groups, one to continue working on the switchbacks, and one to start the descent to the pavement at the end of the loop.

There is a LOT of trail to build, we hope for a good crowd. You can ride post-lunch at Bluff View or Al Foster to Castlewood, weather-permitting.

Where: Rock Hollow and Packwood Park, which will eventually be eight miles of new, multi-use trail in St. Louis County.

Meet at Al Foster Trail parking lot, 225 Grand Ave, Glencoe 63038.

Directions: Take I-44 west to 109 (first Eureka exit, before Six Flags exit), then go north on 109 to Old State Rd, turn right then right again. Follow road to last parking lot.

What to bring: Gloves, Sturdy shoes, eye protection, and something to drink on the trail.

There may be a group ride afterwards - weather permitting, so bring your bike if you like.

RSVP Now

rockhollow_todate_012417.jpg

Matt Hayes
GORC Board Member
Greensfelder Steward

#2 Samit

Samit

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 10:50 AM

I am looking for four somewhat experienced trailbuilders for the Saturday workday at Rockhollow:

One to lead a crew to build four basic walls.

One to lead a crew to grub trees, one quite large, mostly small.

One to lead a crew to remove rocks from the trail, most are easy, some are hard.

One, or two, to lead a crew to bench the trail.

I know that Bryan is looking for trailbuilders that are good at building switchbacks, and I am looking for people who are good at managing people, and have an idea what to do.  I will be there to instruct these leaders.  

The weather is a question.  The forecast is for snow until 10am, then a mix, and then after noon, rain.  It is early to make a call to cancel, or to base anything on a forecast.  Keep watching this forum for news.

#3 Samit

Samit

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 10:32 AM

St. Louis County Parks Department has called off the Rock Hollow (Bluffview) Workday for tomorrow, Saturday March 11.  

GORC may work anyway, depending on the weather.  Check here tomorrow morning at 7 to see if there is work going on.

#4 Somberlain56

Somberlain56

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 01:59 PM

Is the connector from Zombie to Bluff View complete now? 

#5 sniker

sniker

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 02:24 PM

Yup.

GORC Secretary

#6 Samit

Samit

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 07:04 AM

Bryan and I decided to cancel the work today, it snowed.

#7 seamonkey

seamonkey

Site Admin

• Administrators
  • 596 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 07:22 AM

Trail Build at Rock Hollow for today Saturday 3-11-17 has been cancelled.

Matt Hayes
GORC Board Member
Greensfelder Steward

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: rock hollow, trail building

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users