• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bigdog1807

bigdog1807

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 10:09 PM

Correct me if this has changed; the uphill rider has the right-of-way if the trail is not conducive to have two pass comfortably. We all know what it's like grinding up a technical section of trail. Combine that with some jerk barreling downhill squeezing you off the trail. I'll assume these people won't mind when I turn around, catch them and steer wrestle them off their bikes, cowboy style, and teach them some manners. We're in traffic with jerk-offs every day. Mountain biking is an escape from that; so I thought.

#2 Scooter McGaven

Scooter McGaven

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 10:36 PM

Yes. Uphill riders have the right of way. At least they are supposed to anyway.

#3 Kirby

Kirby

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 07:09 AM

To be specific, the rider climbing always has the right of way. The reason is simple, gravity, that same force making it so fun to go downhill, also makes it easier for the descending rider to re-mount his or her trusty stead and continue their descent. If it were the other way the poor schlep who is climbing would have to remount and regain their momentum on a hill no less, which is never fun. Rule number 1 --- People suck.
Kirby

#4 TTM

TTM

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 08:02 AM

Steer wrestling them is only authorized if you have a helmet cam or other video recording device active, thus properly documenting for training of our younger riders.

#5 pilznr

pilznr

• 465 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 10:20 AM

This has been discussed for a long time. While common courtesy would dictate that the downhill rider yield, in practice, it doesn't always work out that way. IMBA just recently added the item to the "Rules of the Trail", and even then it seems more like a suggestion. GORC has tried to address this, and other items related to trail etiquette in a new section on the website: http://www.gorctrail...s/trailtips.asp

Greensfelder Cat Herder

#6 b-herb

b-herb

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 11:07 PM

I wish more people on the trail knew that the uphill rider has the right of way. I stopped numerous times to let the uphill rider go by only to have them stop and say I could go. Then we get into the politeness agrument, "you go ahead, no you go, really it's ok..." etc. Just keep climbing, and shout at any downhill rider that doesn't stop for you! I get tired of stopping downhill only to have the other person let me go. Oh well, could be worse!

Save a trail, ride a bike!

\m/ >_< \m/

#7 gss

gss

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 07:03 AM

quote:
Originally posted by b-herb
I wish more people on the trail knew that the uphill rider has the right of way. I stopped numerous times to let the uphill rider go by only to have them stop and say I could go. Then we get into the politeness agrument, "you go ahead, no you go, really it's ok..." etc. Just keep climbing, and shout at any downhill rider that doesn't stop for you! I get tired of stopping downhill only to have the other person let me go. Oh well, could be worse!
I think this often happens because the uphill rider is looking for a reason to stop and rest. It is fatigue disguised as politeness. Other times the climber just assumes he is about to get run over if he does not get out of the way so he stops. Once he has stopped and the downhill rider has stopped, it is just easier to have the downhill rider start off first (back to gravity again).

#8 bulldog

bulldog

Geezer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 10:09 AM

quote:
Originally posted by TTM
Steer wrestling them is only authorized if you have a helmet cam or other video recording device active, thus properly documenting for training of our younger riders.
I have noticed over the years that it takes me four times longer to climb any hill than to ride down it. So, I see a lot more downhillers, some of which are courteous, some are a$$holes! (Yes, this is my rest time disguized as being nice) A simple hi or thanks would be appreciated though! Lastly, after searching my 200+ hrs. of video, the only thing I've wrestled to the ground is me!
Downhills are fun! Uphills keep you young!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users