No replies to this topic

#1 Craig

Craig

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 11:47 PM

Over 10 years ago, I was (WILLINGLY) recruited to a position that has evolved into "The Dork that chats with the people at SCCP's, represents GORC's interests, and stuff like that".

(Yes, I am the Dork representing "our" interests.) 

In this case, Quail Ridge Park is in need of someone who has the passion and time to act as it's Trail Steward; [https://gorctrails.c...t-trail-steward].  The important things have been copied, italicized, and are seen below ...

Trail Stewards represent GORC in a positive manner as they are the "spokesperson" for their park and trail.  They keep an eye on their park by reading the GORC and stlbiking forums, by riding, running or hiking the park fairly regularly and listening to the concerns of other park “regulars” that keep them up to date via their own trail experiences.

GORC is less concerned with a trail steward’s trail building skills than with their willingness to learn - and follow - the rules of building sustainable natural surface trail as defined by GORC and IMBA.

Ultimately, the secret to being a great trail steward is something that cannot be taught or learned - and that is “Passion” for the betterment and continued health of their favorite trail and the park. A trail steward in many cases grows to become a major contributor to the operations of GORC. Many current and former trail stewards are now GORC board members or are in management roles and help guide GORC's day to day operations.

I am here to answer questions, give suggestions, work with SCCP's to see what can be done by Park Staff vs setting up an official GORC workday, helping you determine what that tipping point is, and things of that nature.  (As are the rest of GORC's staff of Trail Stewards.)

Should anyone have any further questions about this, please don't hesitate to PM me via my screen name, or reply to this post.

Craig Seibert, GORC Board Member

GORC/St. Charles County Parks Liaison

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users