• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 iona57

iona57

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:17 PM

As posted elsewhere, we are building a solid mountain biking program at the S bar F Scout Camp sout of Ferguson. Thousands of boys and hundreds of their dads will be introduced for the first time in their lives to mountain biking there. (as I was, 7 years ago.) But now, they will actually ride on real singletrack trails instead of worn-out hiking trails. And, thanks to the Trek Factory Store in Arnold, they will be riding new, top quality bikes. Plus, they will be given introductory instructions, and riding and safety tips so that they will be better able enjoy our sport when they return home.

The next step in this program is the production of a map of the trails at the camp with safety instructions and riding etiquette, etc. on one side, and I think it would be a great idea to have the back side of the map be information about GORC, including small maps of our trails around St. Louis and information about what we do, and becoming members.

I think we will need to print about 5,000 for this year and I like the idea so much I am willing to pay 50% of the sponsorship fee if GORC or other GORC members would be willing to match my contribution. I don't know how much this will cost, but I doubt if it would be more than a couple of hundred dollars.

I could shop this to our local retailers, but I think it would be better for us all if it carried a GORC sponsorship. But if we don't do stuff like this. I understand. I just think it could lead to lots of new members.

The Greater St. Louis Area Council is now the largest Scout Council in the country and is dedicated to building a mountain biking program at the camp. I can't think of a better source for new members.

I have been hired to teach mountain biking at the BSA's National High Adventure Base in West Virginia for the summer and would like to see these maps at the camp before I leave in late May. I have already done the lion's share of creating the trail map and will find out what the actual costs are this week. 

Greg Nelson

iona57@live.com

#2 Oh Baby

Oh Baby

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 09:34 AM

pm sent

-Jon A

"Oh Baby!" - Ken Wilson      /     "dasvidaniya!" - Nick