Switchback Hill Big Thank You!!!!

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 95vtr250

95vtr250

Advanced Contributor

• 970 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 09:24 AM

I would like to personally thank everyone that has come out the past the past several months to help complete the six switchbacks and connecting trail on the Rock Hollow/Bluff View Trail.  My goal was to get this section of trail open for summer use.  Through everyone's hard work this has been accomplished!  This was one of the most labor intensive trail builds for 1000 feet of trail in our history.  The expertise that was exhibited by everyone involved shows in the final product.

There are still tweaks to be made as people ride it and find the "perfect" line.  We will address that next fall, but for now, we're tired and just want to ride our bikes for the summer.  GORC members put in 1,415 hours of labor on that hillside since January.  This was mostly done on non-official trail builds due to weather cancellations.  We had several Thursday evening trail builds that were attended well and really showed how much people cared about what we were doing.

I'd personally like to call out Glenn Meyer for putting in over 100 of those hours and bringing the tool trailer out whenever needed.  Volunteers like Glenn are invaluable and I can't thank him enough for his help.  Also, Paul Keppel kept me motivated and put in over 60 hours himself on that hillside.  There were many others that showed up regularly, Drew, Tom, Rich, Dan, Adam, Patrick, Cass and others...thank you very much!  There is some great features on that hillside that we all put a lot of thought in to.  After riding the completed product last night, I was amazed at how incredible it turned out.  You all did amazing work!

If you haven't had a chance to check it out, please do.  We are nearly complete with only about a 1/2 mile of the Eastern section to finish next fall.  This will complete the loop in Rock Hollow.  Design and construction on this trail started in 2009/2010.  It has been a long build and it's great to see it nearly completed.  There are areas that will need some TLC after we are done with the main construction.  We will get back to them.

Also, please respect the sign at the end of the Eastern section of trail that is at the rock slot.  The turn at the bottom of the slot is not complete and unsafe to ride.  We will work on that turn this fall.  So, for now please turn around at the sign and enjoy the trail in the other direction.

Thanks again to all the great volunteers we have in St. Louis!

Bryan

• seamonkey, sniker, bulldog and 1 other like this

Bryan Adams, GORC Board Member
Why should I change my name, he's the one that sucks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users