• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Rippin' the Niner

Rippin' the Niner

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 09:46 PM

Has GORC ever considered building wooden features along trails or in a skills type area? Maybe this has been discussed but rejected by trail owners or the state.

Echo Bluff State Park has some fun/challenging features that if added to the trails around the STL would make them even better.

Any info is appreciated! Thanks!

#2 Muddy tires

Muddy tires

Forum Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 11:08 PM

There are some wooden features at bangert isalnd and klondike that i know of. I haven't noticed any features at any of the other trails I ride. Side note, I hiked the klondike mtb trails about a month ago. That trail is well above my skill set but damn it looks like it would be fun to ride.

#3 The Krackheads

The Krackheads

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 855 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 06:20 AM

Others with more knowledge can comment on this but I think the limiting factor in St Louis County is 1) liability and 2) approval.

Klondike had some features but were dismantled a couple years ago due to disrepair. Forrest City has some newly installed features, I do not know a lot about them.

Volunteers do not necessarily have the time; they just have the heart. ~Elizabeth Andrew

Bluffview/Rock Hollow Co-Trail Steward

#4 seamonkey

seamonkey

Site Admin

• Administrators
  • 542 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 09:40 AM

Forest city has a couple of things, a wood berm, a teeter and a mini flow track.

It is about liability, land agency decisions and ongoing maintenance. The highest used trails a.k.a. Greensfelder, Bluff view, zombie are all multi use trails and aren't in the cards for man-made (wood) features.

If hidden Valley sees the zip line as a success, I hear there is talk about possibly bringing in bikes into their economic mix aka dedicated flow trails. The timeline is anyone's guess.

Matt Hayes
GORC Board Member
Greensfelder Steward

#5 Rippin' the Niner

Rippin' the Niner

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 09:49 AM

Others with more knowledge can comment on this but I think the limiting factor in St Louis County is 1) liability and 2) approval.

Klondike had some features but were dismantled a couple years ago due to disrepair. Forrest City has some newly installed features, I do not know a lot about them.

#6 Rippin' the Niner

Rippin' the Niner

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 09:50 AM

#7 Rippin' the Niner

Rippin' the Niner

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 11:01 AM

I'd love to see mountain biking at Hidden Valley. Hopefully it happens in the near future.

#8 Lefty Seth

Lefty Seth

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 07:42 AM

I've been building some northshore (wooden) type trail features on my home trail. If I knew how to go about not being sued if someone got hurt I'd probably let some people come ride it. Here's a video of one of the features I recently made. https://youtu.be/4R3asXgb84E

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users