14 replies to this topic

#1 caleb_r_miller

caleb_r_miller

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 07:15 AM

As you know SIUE took some serious damage this week.

We're going to try and meet up Sat.07/29 Morning at 9am to try and especially hit some of the big stuff.

We have equipment to remove it - just needs to hands to help (and any additional equipment is welcome).

9am RC field - come for what time you can - it's all welcome.

Thanks!

#2 caleb_r_miller

caleb_r_miller

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 11:16 AM

Please post if you think you might show up - just to get an idea of who might show up

#3 gigi

gigi

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 12:11 PM

pete and i can work some tomorrow  and we have some tools so will bring what we have - assume mostly loppers and pack saws needed.  we havent had a chance to scout there yet.  any idea where we should start if we get out there early?

gigi

#4 rockbreaker

rockbreaker

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 04:54 PM

Pete & Gigi, I can start earlier than 9:00am if you want me to bring the saw. Maybe someone can ride out in front of me to locate the downed trees. Would we need the power pole saw for any of them ? sent you an e mail and Pete a text if both of those are still the same.

Glenn
GORC Trail Steward Creve Coeur Park
"St. Louis County's First Park"

#5 gigi

gigi

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 05:00 PM

hey glenn:

not sure what needs work as we haven't had a chance to hike the trails yet.  we'll probably get out there around 8:30 and just start on trail 1 and start hiking around from there if no one posts any more definitive notes on here before then.  i sent a note to bike surgeon and asked them to post a note on their facebook page also.  

gigi

#6 caleb_r_miller

caleb_r_miller

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 05:35 PM

John Mahoney is a pretty experienced sawyer as well - he was planning on bringing at least one serious chainsaw (and all appropriate safety equipment of course).

I haven't walked it yet either so I'm not sure all what's down - I think John had a better idea of at least some of the major parts.

I've got a couple of power sythes and a small electric chainsaw.

#7 gigi

gigi

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 06:08 PM

Saturday is mudmountain race,. We hiked in trail1 and there is enough down stuff there for sawyer in first half mile. Probably have to park on poag road by trail 3 and hike up.
gigi

#8 jwmahoney

jwmahoney

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 06:32 PM

Good to know about the race.  I tried to ride on Monday starting with trail 1.  Within a half mile I had climbed through vines, over a pine tree, and ran into a pile of downed trees.  I turned around at the pile of downed trees.  There was also lots of sticks and debris on the trail. Other than those 3 spots, I do not know where trees are down.  Other folks at the trails said that there were lots of trees down, but not sure what trails they had tried.

#9 gigi

gigi

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 07:43 PM

we are going to park at the little park spot along poag road by trail3 and then hike up to 1 from the shortcut working our way back to trailhead 1 to clear what we can.  Glenn will meet us and we'll swamp for him.  caleb - can you meet up with anyone else that shows and maybe you could swamp for john?  

gigi

#10 caleb_r_miller

caleb_r_miller

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 07:45 PM

Thanks John!

Mud Mountain is tomorrow morning so we need to park somewhere else - the rc field will be swamped.

Feel free to contact me at (six one eight) six one six-1530 to find out where we are.

Thanks Caleb

#11 gigi

gigi

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 07:59 PM

if anyone else goes out there - just hit a trail and start clearing debris off trail.  if you can post on this site if you find any trees that need sawing we can check this for further places to go.  

gigi

#12 gigi

gigi

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 10:45 AM

i think we got trail 1 open yesterday.  there might be some foliage encroaching - but all the trees have been sawed.  Caleb - did you guys get trail 2 done?  By the way, i have your blade cover for the gas hedger.  i'll bring it to the next day.  Thanks Glenn for coming over and sawyering.  that was a lot of work!  

gigi

#13 caleb_r_miller

caleb_r_miller

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 07:43 PM

Yes both 1 and 2 where cleared last Sat. Could definitely use trimming but that's true throughout. Thanks!

#14 Mooser

Mooser

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 04:14 PM

Update: as of 4PM today, all trails at SIUE are cleared of trees and rideable. Enjoy.

#15 thewoody1

thewoody1

Forum Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 08:05 PM

A big thanks to all who volunteered their time to the trail clean up!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users