• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 crewe

crewe

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 03:02 PM

So I've started mountain biking over the last few months.  My conditioning is still not great, but I've enjoyed Bluff View, Zombie, Stingy Nettle area, and Creve Coeur.   Today I tried Cedar Bluff.  

Honestly, I kind of hated it.  First, the tunnel freaked me out as my head was scraping the top (and I'm 5'10).  I took the trail clockwise and the uphill killed me. By the time I got to the downhill portions I felt it wasn't able to enjoy them because it kind of felt like I was going down a washed out ravine and didn't feel comfortable going too fast. Trail seems not well maintained, and was just really hard for me and at the same time not enjoyable as some of the other harder trails (zombie)

So, my question is...do other people feel this way or am I just really bad at this right now?  And how does Cedar Bluff compare to other Castlewood trails? 

On a side note, I came out of the tunnel at the end and there was an old man and women standing there both holding shovels acting surprised to see me, which isn't really the kind of thing I love seeing out in the woods. 

Also, on my way out back to Sherman Beach lot heard what sounded like an extremely large tree fall back in the Stingy Nettle direction.  Sounded like a bomb followed by crackling fireworks.  Hope no one was around.

#2 The Krackheads

The Krackheads

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 855 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 04:21 PM

Unfortunately that trail is not maintained, I would venture to bet that more horses from Castlewood Stables use it than cyclists. It is old school trail built (94ish) before IMBA standards. Personally I like its challenge when I do venture to CW and its also a great reminder of WHAT our trails use to be like. The front side trails at CW are more tame and built to modern standards, That said, the park and trails in general get ALOT of use and are very crowded and congested.

A couple suggestions, You should add Broemelsiek and Indian Camp Creek in to your ride routine, They are great trails to build confidence and hone your skilllzzz. I would also suggest you try the 1st Sunday Group ride at Greensfelder. While parts of the GF can be intimidating to a newer rider there are many other sections that you will be fine with and enjoy. There is no shame in walking a section!!!! Its a no drop ride which means the group will wait for the slower riders to catch up.

Volunteers do not necessarily have the time; they just have the heart. ~Elizabeth Andrew

Bluffview/Rock Hollow Co-Trail Steward

#3 supradude

supradude

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 06:03 PM

@crewe, the reasons you mentioned are exactly why i love riding Cedar Bluff.  It's a challenge.  The downhills in either direction are straight up fun and the climbing, again in either direction, just add to the overall challenge factor.  I know the trail needs some love and all, but I like it the way it is.  If I wanted easy I'd stick to the flats all day or head over to CCP.  I think if you stick to this sport and the trails you've ridden start getting easier, I think you'll find an appreciation for trails like Cedar Bluff, Chubb, Greensfelder, etc.  That is what happened to me.

Oh, the tunnel rules.  It's like the Mine Train at Six Flags; gives you another challenge to overcome.  I have a smile on my face every time I go through it.

Pizza is life. Beer helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users