2 replies to this topic

#1 The Krackheads

The Krackheads

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 904 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 07:53 PM

The time has come to retire the Float 29-32 after 4 years. Im considering a Boost fork yet all my wheels are non boost, To make them boost ready requires a $25 end cap and a return-dish so about $50.00 total.

Is boost really that big of a deal performance wise and a worth the extra money to get my wheels boost ready? I dont plan on any future wheel or fork upgrades for hopefully many more years.

Thanks for your input and thoughts.

Volunteers do not necessarily have the time; they just have the heart. ~Elizabeth Andrew

Bluffview/Rock Hollow Co-Trail Steward

#2 ZenkiS14

ZenkiS14

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 09:31 AM

Eh, the future proofing is worth it for value holding at least. And it is stiffer, for sure.

-Kyle
DJ:DS:4X:BMX:DH:FR:XC

#3 Craig

Craig

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,615 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 07:05 PM

As Kyle mentioned, being able to interact with future products is a consideration.  

For your type of riding, it isn't such a big deal (~ 10% lateral stiffness improvement vs a non - boost wheel).  If you lived to rip the hottest Enduro course, or made weekly pilgrimages to Bentonville's flow trails (or similar), where you're putting lotsa side load on the wheels, it would be easier to justify.  Back when bars were narrow, a XC rim was 17mm wide.  The current Stan's Crest is 23mm, which adds a ton of lateral stiffness.  If you aren't needing to true your wheels every other month, or folding a rim 2 or 3 times a year, you probably don't need the extra stiffness.  

Craig Seibert, GORC Board Member

GORC/St. Charles County Parks Liaison

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users