3 replies to this topic

#1 sasmith

sasmith

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 02:45 PM

This is a great three day trip but you could do it in two.

Day One: leave early and take I-64 to O'Bannon State Park near Corydon IN, about a 3 hr 45 min drive. O'Bannon has at least 17 miles of great singletrack with several fun flow sections.

Corydon looked like a cool town so you could just eat there and head to Brown Co. or stay the night. But Louisville KY is just up the road a bit and has all the food and drink you'd expect in a college town.

It's about 2.5 hrs from there to Nashville IN/Brown Co. State Park. We forged ahead and stayed the night in Nashville. But to do justice to O'Bannon and to have a more relaxed trip next time I'll stay in Corydon or Louisville the first night.

Day Two: either way get on up to Brown Co. State Park which by now probably has more than 30 miles of premium MTB trail. Haven't been there? Go! go now!

Nashville is all about tourism so there's lots of places to stay. Not a lot of places to eat but Big Woods Pizza and the brew pub are good. Columbus IN is a good option for a wider selection.

And if camping is your thing O'Bannon and Brown Co. are very well run state parks. (If you camp you'll save the vehicle fees, see below)

Day Three: Knock out a quick ride of your favorites from the day before and head for home via I-70 about 4.5 hrs. You'll pass through Bloomington IN on the way if you want to grab something to eat or Terre Haute is a little farther along just off the interstate.

Finally, consider buying $20 season passes at the O'Bannon gate which is good at all Indiana State Parks and goes to the trails. You have to buy a day pass anyway for $5 for each bike rider (plus $9 for out of state vehicles which goes to the park). So you'll enter the parks three days this trip and having the card gets you through the gate quicker. And if you go again in the same year you'll save a bit. Plus did I mention the $ go to the trails?

• sniker, B-unit and crow like this
Steve

#2 estoys

estoys

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 10:22 AM

I would second the stop in at O'Bannon Woods.  I stop there every time I go to Louisville or points beyond.  In the summer they have a nice pool you can pay to get into as well.

If you choose to stay in Louisville next time, check out Cherokee Park and Waverly Park.  They are mountain bike trails dead in the middle of residential areas.  It is odd compared to St. Louis where it is usually in the distant suburbs.  Cherokee park reminds you of Forest Park where people are barbecuing, playing golf and in this case mountain biking all in the same area.

• sasmith likes this

#3 Craig

Craig

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,592 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 10:19 PM

This is a great three day trip but you could do it in two.

Day One: leave early and take I-64 to O'Bannon State Park near Corydon IN, about a 3 hr 45 min drive. O'Bannon has at least 17 miles of great singletrack with several fun flow sections.

Corydon looked like a cool town so you could just eat there and head to Brown Co. or stay the night. But Louisville KY is just up the road a bit and has all the food and drink you'd expect in a college town.

It's about 2.5 hrs from there to Nashville IN/Brown Co. State Park. We forged ahead and stayed the night in Nashville. But to do justice to O'Bannon and to have a more relaxed trip next time I'll stay in Corydon or Louisville the first night.

Day Two: either way get on up to Brown Co. State Park which by now probably has more than 30 miles of premium MTB trail. Haven't been there? Go! go now!

Nashville is all about tourism so there's lots of places to stay. Not a lot of places to eat but Big Woods Pizza and the brew pub are good. Columbus IN is a good option for a wider selection.

And if camping is your thing O'Bannon and Brown Co. are very well run state parks. (If you camp you'll save the vehicle fees, see below)

Day Three: Knock out a quick ride of your favorites from the day before and head for home via I-70 about 4.5 hrs. You'll pass through Bloomington IN on the way if you want to grab something to eat or Terre Haute is a little farther along just off the interstate.

Finally, consider buying $20 season passes at the O'Bannon gate which is good at all Indiana State Parks and goes to the trails. You have to buy a day pass anyway for $5 for each bike rider (plus $9 for out of state vehicles which goes to the park). So you'll enter the parks three days this trip and having the card gets you through the gate quicker. And if you go again in the same year you'll save a bit. Plus did I mention the $ go to the trails?

You bast ... er, THANKS!

We now have yet ANOTHER destination weekend to add to the bucket list.

I would second the stop in at O'Bannon Woods.  I stop there every time I go to Louisville or points beyond.  In the summer they have a nice pool you can pay to get into as well.

If you choose to stay in Louisville next time, check out Cherokee Park and Waverly Park.  They are mountain bike trails dead in the middle of residential areas.  It is odd compared to St. Louis where it is usually in the distant suburbs.  Cherokee park reminds you of Forest Park where people are barbecuing, playing golf and in this case mountain biking all in the same area.

And thank YOU for the additional info. 

I haven't been to Louisville since my previous life as a BMX (wanna -be) racer. 

Uh, 198x-ish era. 

Definitely before paved berms and clipless pedals.

You have now inspired me to ride my 40" wheelbase/75* HTA/20" wheeled "race bike" to the local skate park, and ride until I hurt myself.

Unfortunately, I have the feeling it won't take long.  But ... the FUN I will have until that happens!

• sniker likes this

Craig Seibert, GORC Board Member

GORC/St. Charles County Parks Liaison

#4 The Krackheads

The Krackheads

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 05:37 AM

Nashville food suggestions-Big Woods being on Main Street in Nashville is where everyone goes, Venture 2 blocks West to Brozinis-pizza+pasta.

The Artist Colony Inn has a great breakfast buffet for $10.00-The house made donuts are worth the entry fee. Their dinner menu is very nice and affordable as well.

• sasmith and sniker like this

Volunteers do not necessarily have the time; they just have the heart. ~Elizabeth Andrew

Bluffview/Rock Hollow Co-Trail Steward

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users