• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 wspanicrunner

wspanicrunner

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 09:15 PM

Hello all, I will be relocating from Alaska to Scott AFB in March. Just wondering how far out of the way are most of the trails if I decide to live close to base or in IL??? I ride a Redline d660 1X9 29'er, will I be good with a hardtail?? I've mostly been riding 2-4 hr rides up here in AK. I enjoy 12/24 hr racing when I can get enough training in. Thanks and hope to join up and meet with some of you when I get there!!

#2 Scooter McGaven

Scooter McGaven

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 09:48 PM

If you live near Scott AFB... Pretty much all the trails listed on this forum will be no more than 2 1/2(ozark trail system) hour away at most, maybe less. SIUE would be the closest trails at about 30 minutes away. They are tight and twisty with little climbing.... a fun flowy trail. Every thing in Missouri is more rocky.

#3 Spot

Spot

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 12:08 AM

Welcome to STL. Your d660 1x9 will treat you well with the trails around here. Many ride rigid single speeds. Are you at Elmendorf or Eielson? Scott

#4 wspanicrunner

wspanicrunner

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 04:05 PM

I'm at Elmendorf, the riding around the Anchorage/Kenai Peninsula area has been phenomenal!!! I've been thinking about making the d660 into a SS and have been looking into the Santa Cruz Tallboy for a new bike. What area would be the best place to consider buying a house and not be too far away to commute by bike to Scott????

#5 nrvana423

nrvana423

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 05:45 PM

O'Fallon, IL would be your best bet as far as close enough to bike to work. That and Shiloh.

#6 PIMP-DADDY

PIMP-DADDY

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 06:59 PM

Scott AFB is also serviced by the MetroLink train. So that should open up your commute options a bit. Bummer is, there's not much in the way of trails very close. You'll be heading to SIUE and/or crossing the river into Missouri alot. But better to be closer to work than to play. Welcome!
BigBad JohnnyD
http://www.iphonewal...llac-emblem.png
The Original Trail-Pimp!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users