5 replies to this topic

#1 iKona40

iKona40

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 07:47 PM

I'm a frequent user of these boards, and of the trails GORC maintains.

As with many other members, I'd love to make work days etc. but being Dad, running kids around to sporting events, rehearsals on the weekends etc. I haven't been able to make some/ any of the work days over the past year.

I pay my dues, and will continue to do so, but what other types of things could a GORC member do to help out when trail maintenance falls on days I'm unable to attend.

I'm feeling somewhat guilty in a way.

I'm looking for any ideas here, someway to express my appreciation.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Dan

Dan R

#2 95vtr250

95vtr250

Advanced Contributor

• 975 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 09:30 AM

Dan, Thanks for the question and willingness to something. Just a few things that come to mind, volunteer to help Rockbreaker (Glenn) sharpen tools over at his house some evening. He could use an extra hand and it would be something you could do around your schedule. We're always looking for someone with grant writing experience. If you're friendly with a bike shop, hit them up for some workday giveaways, such as bottles, gift cards, etc. And, the most basic thing is to take the time out on the trail to move deadfall and help spread the word about GORC and what we do. Maybe some of the other folk can come up with other ways to help. Thanks, Bryan

Bryan Adams, GORC Board Member
Why should I change my name, he's the one that sucks!

#3 Craig

Craig

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 11:05 AM

Please consider this a partial list of ideas. Don't limit yourself because of my current lack of imagination . . . . Since you're close to Cliff Cave, you may want to PM KevinG through this board and see if your schedules allow you to get together. He (and Steve) are leading the charge in cleaning things up there, so you still may be able to help out with some trail work. When you swing by your local bike shop, check to see that they've got some GORC literature (tri-fold brochures, workday schedules during the fall/winter/spring, etc). If they're out, drop Glenn a note so he can have some more delivered. You might also consider joining the Bike Patrol program (we have some basic info posted here, http://gorctrails.co...atrol/index.asp). Essentially, you're a rolling ambassador for mountain biking, and GORC. If you currently stop on the trail to help someone who has a flat, or is lost, you're already doing the same things Patrollers do. You've also got the opportunity to assist with what I term "special events", such as the Take a Kid Mountain Biking Day, or Patrolling at a race.

Craig Seibert, GORC Board Member

GORC/St. Charles County Parks Liaison

#4 jeriCurl

jeriCurl

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 09:45 AM

Some more simple things: Donate money or tools. Attend the group rides and try to be extra friendly and supportive when new people come out to ride. Advertise for GORC: ===================== Buy some GORC jerseys and wear them proudly on the trails, be sure to stop and help anyone in need, and to ride courteous while wearing it. Put a GORC sticker on your vehicle. Put GORC stickers on your bike.

#5 pilznr

pilznr

• 465 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 10:37 AM

We're also trying to get people involved with doing maintenance on trails. It's not especially exciting, but it's something that really needs to be done. If there's one trail you ride more than others, and want to get involved helping keep it in good shape, get in touch with the trail steward who's listed on the forum. This is something you can do when you have the time without having to attend an organized workday.

Greensfelder Cat Herder

#6 iKona40

iKona40

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 09:12 PM

Thanks for all of the replies. Can / will do what is recommended. My "early" New Year's resolution is to make some work days and attend a few meetings in 2010. I appreciate the suggestions and all of the hard work GORC puts into the trails! Thank you! Dan

Dan R

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users