8 replies to this topic

#1 Kirby

Kirby

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 11:45 AM

Build Plans: We will be working on a new trail on the Bluff side. It  will connect the new (upper) parking lot to the existing Bluff Trail. This will establish the trail head for Bluff Trail at the parking lot. The trail will traverse some really nice topography. The design will be much like the Spring Valley Trail with some flow features similar to the recently added section of Bluff Trail.

Directions: From I 255, take Telegraph rd south approx. 1.5  mile to a left on Cliff Cave Rd. Follow Cliff Cave Rd approximately 1.25mi into the park. Meet at the parking lot at the top of the hill - it will be the first lot on the left.

What to bring: Gloves, Sturdy shoes, eye protection, and something to drink on the trail.

Lunch will be provided.

Here is what to expect at a trail build:

https://forum.gorctr...l-building-day/

You can RSVP from this page:

https://www.gorctrai...id=1187&reset=1

• sniker likes this
Kirby

#2 KevinG

KevinG

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 04:01 PM

As we open up the corridor, more  sections are lending themselves to a flow trail design.

It would be great to have some builders experienced with flow design to help make the most out of these sections.

Weather is looking to be perfect for the build!

Hope to see a good turnout, I think we can really add some great stuff to this trail.

GORC Trail Steward- Cliff Cave Park
You don't quit playing because you get old .... You get old because you quit playing

#3 bulldog

bulldog

Geezer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 11:40 PM

I'll be there maybe a few minutes late. The sign up for this is absolute BS.

Downhills are fun! Uphills keep you young!

#4 seamonkey

seamonkey

Site Admin

• Administrators
  • 596 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 07:43 AM

Do you mean the actual sign up procedure or how many people have signed up? Asking to see if there's issues on the site's end.

matt

Matt Hayes
GORC Board Member
Greensfelder Steward

#5 Craig

Craig

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 06:51 PM

As I write this, the signup count is in the low teens.  Based upon that figure, I would predict a participant count in the low 30's, but the rockin' St. Louis MTB Community embarrassed me (in a good way) by doubling the Thursday night count at the last event.  Will we see 50?  Please spread the word ...

Potential tipping points that may make you come out ....

• with the ground thawing, recent rains, and minimal rocks, it should be a "physically" easy build.
  • the forecast is calling for a high near 50*F.
  • the trails are too sloppy to ride, so we may as well work on building some new stuff.

Of course, we will call time on the trail efforts by 12:30/12:40 ... basically, giving us enough time to hike everyone back to the parking lot, help get the tools situated, and move the group to the lunch site.  With some cooperation from the usual stragglers who want to "make this last 500' of trail look the way it should", you should be pondering what to put on your sandwich by 1:00.

Of course, if any of the previous links don't provide the answers that you are looking for, please feel free to post directly to this forum thread.  

OR, click on KevinG's profile, and it will allow you to send him a Direct Message via the website/forum software.  He can reply via the same setup, and he won't know your email address unless you choose to share it in the body of the message.

Questions?

(This is YOUR forum, please use it!)

Craig Seibert, GORC Board Member

GORC/St. Charles County Parks Liaison

#6 KevinG

KevinG

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 01:21 PM

Thanks to everyone who helped today!!

Had a great turnout, a good mix of new as well as experienced builders.

The new builders caught on really quickly and the experienced people dug in and everyone made it happen.

Here's a few pics of what a group of hard working and motivated people can accomplish:

Got about 1/3 mile of sweet single track put in.

IMG_1539.JPG

IMG_1541.JPG

IMG_1540.JPG

IMG_1542.JPG

• sniker and zzzbullseye like this
You don't quit playing because you get old .... You get old because you quit playing

#7 zzzbullseye

zzzbullseye

Forum Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 12:42 PM

I got out and put the first tracks on the tread way this morning.  The trail is drying fast and would benefit from additional folks and two-wheel traffic to smooth things out. According to Strava, we put in between .3 and .4 miles of trail.

#8 mscott003

mscott003

Forum Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 12:58 PM

Sorry I missed the trail build last week.  Was all signed up.  My Dad ended up in the hospital and its been a whirlwind of a week!  

Thanks for all that helped in my absence..  Hoping to get out there in a bit to check it out!

#9 KevinG

KevinG

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 09:21 AM

Hope everything turns out well for your father.

Please come and check out the trails, will be having another build April 27.

Steve and myself will be doing a lot of prep work for the next build late afternoons during the weeks ahead.

PM me if you'd like to help for a couple hours some day and get a sneak peek at what's in process!

Kevin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users